Thread: PROGRAMMER NEEDED for iphone/android game

Default PROGRAMMER NEEDED for iphone/android game

I'm looking for an experienced developer to help code a game aimed at android and iphone. We already have one developer attached to the project but could use another coder to lighten the workload.

For the prototype some prior knowledge in flash is necessary, but the end product will be made using C++. Our team is based in London so anyone interested needs to be available to meet there once a week for regular meetings.

Note, this is not a paid position but a project for all designers,developers,artists involved to add to their portfolio. email me if you're interested at dimitridotmichael88atgmail.com.

Building a prototype in flash when the final game won't be a flash game? Will that not be a rod for your back?

Surely to make a prototype where code won't be transferable, you may as well use game maker or something easier than flash.
    Come speak to us on the Unofficial T2G IRC channel

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. The decision to use flash for the prototype was our current developer's as he's still familiarising him self with C++. I'm basically looking for someone to work hand in hand with him to move the project along more swiftly.

As for info on the game, the GDD is pretty far a long and I would rather not share too many details before meeting the someone who's interested. What i can tell you is that it's a sim game based around the world of gardening, think sim city meets harvest moon. If anyone wants more info simply email me at the above posted email address.

Hi,

I'm the 'sole' Developer for the project above!
    I'm on the dev course and currently working on the section 2 projects.
    I'll just try to give the project some weight, or credibility...!

Firstly I think it would be a really good project to be involved with, especially if you’re on the Developer, Art & Animation or the Design course. It would be the chance to work with a team to create a game from scratch.

The Game itself is as Dimitri mentioned above “...a sim game based around the world of gardening...”
    Its not a guns blazing 3D wow fest, but it will be a fun project and it will help put into practice a lot of material learnt on the course.
    It has the potential to grow in a huge way and be very involving (I mean huge in a expansive way)
    So as the sole dev I'm kind of trying to reign it in a bit, especially in this early phase!
    It would be nice to have another dev to bounce ideas off and indeed help write a lot of the classes!

Right, the reason I'm using Flash/AS3 to build the prototype is for a few reasons:

The first is that I know flash and AS3 really well (way more so than GameMaker) and while learning C++ I have found the two to be really quite similar.

Working in AS3 has actually helped me to understand and comprehend C++ better (and vice versa!).
    Also I find it much quicker to bash out a bit of code/logic and see what's going on in Flash than Visual Studio...
    I also think the bulk of the code will be quite transferable between the two - OK you'll have to re-write some code, but the class structures, OOP, framework and logic will be largely on the money... and all the game assets used will be the same.

So if you do want to get involved with making a game, just give Superhands a shout above.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    I also think the bulk of the code will be quite transferable between the two - OK you'll have to re-write some code, but the class structures, OOP, framework and logic will be largely on the money... and all the game assets used will be the same.
    I'd be glad to help you out but am a bit worried about the flash part - are you sure it's a simple matter to transfer to C++ ? I wouldn't know where to start with Flash, but am an old hand at C++ (currently on Section 3 part B of course) - and you probably know, to develop iPhone apps you need a Mac (which I havn't got) but Andoid OS is open source java, so is the Windows Phone SDK (free that is) and the windows one is all C++ so maybe that's a route ?
    I'd have to use a smartphone emulator as being an old fart I don't possess such a thing !

_Q_ it'd be great to have you onboard!

The usage of Flash / AS3 is purely as I'm not that proficient with C++ at the moment, and at this early stage its quite good to have a small prototype or at least something that the team can look at and play with... bit of motivation!
    ...but with you on board it would be good to chat about options... maybe we can ditch the flash and move on with C++..?
    I'd be up for it!

I'll show you some simple examples/differences between AS3 and C++ later...

Let us know if you'd be up for a meet this week, tuesday/wed? maybe somewhere central or somewhere that suits all... and we can try and get this thing rollin'?!

RE iPhone / mac - iThink you can export from flash (CS5 +) to iPhone via AIR - no mac needed, but of course you have to have their dev certificate/licence (same as Android but of course more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    ... maybe we can ditch the flash and move on with C++..?
    I'd be up for it!
    It's good that you know Flash as it's good for mini online browser type games, but the joy of C++ it's so easy to switch it to a different platform
    - so you can have a PC version, Xbox version, Android version etc

C++ is ok as long as you follow a 'need to know' policy, and don't get bogged down with stuff that would never be used in a game app
    - and it's right what they say in the t2g manuals, you have to understand the fundamentals absolutely, every little nuance !

We'' sort out a meet up eventually, maybe central london half way between us, sent a link to Superhands88 of the game I did for PP2,
    it's bit crap but it had all the things they asked for, didn't use any 3rd party libraries, just C++ with DirectDraw
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7263909/GameInstaller.zip

Needs a real mouse (not a laptop thingy)