Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] How To Get Motivated!

Don't work constantly on the course or you'll burn out. Work a little every day and fill in the gaps with other things. I try to put in about 20-30hrs a week on the main course and I'm filling in time learning C++. When I'm finished with that I'm going to move on to DARKBasic and then work on my 3D modelling by teaching myself Maya and 3DMax (you can get free student copies from Autodesk with your T2G student status even if your not studying graphics)

The point is, the best way to stay motivated is to not get demotivated in the first place

(Continued)

10) Timetables/Organization (T2G's recommendations):

I feel really bad about not mentioning this before but this whole section is taken from the student world and is very, very useful. (some of their tips are similar to the ones mentioned above). This can all be found here: http://www.train2game-online.com/inf...timetable.html The reason this is here is because I personally find its quite motivational to be organized such as when my phone beeps at 9:30am on most days I know its time to study and thus grab a cup of tea or coffee and some breakfast and start studying. Sometimes thats all you need is that little voice or sound effect in my case that reminds you that you should be studying now. But of course do NOT force it.

1. Consider the days and times during which you intend to study.
    2. You can then begin to draw up a Study Timetable based on this. Write down the days/times you intend to study and the work you hope to complete during each session.
    3. Make sure that your Study Timetable is realistic, do not overstretch yourself.
    4. Consider how long it takes you to become restless. This varies greatly from one person to another. Some people need more frequent breaks than others, so make sure your Study Timetable is personal to your needs.
    5. More difficult sections of the study will require extra time, and perhaps extra breaks.
    6. Make sure you set aside time for revision.
    7. Try to study in an environment that is free from distractions.
    8. Try to stick to your Study Timetable, but do not become disheartened if you fall a little behind, the most important thing is that you do not lose sight of your overall goal.
    9. Pencil in your rewards.
    10. Enjoy the experience of learning.

11) Avoid Burnouts!

This point has been brought up allot so I thought I should add it.

1. Try taking regular breaks, as not only will this help to give your eyes a rest but also some reflection time to look back on what you have just been studying.
    2. Don't force yourself to study when you don't feel well (includes hangovers) or haven't had much sleep. Not only will these things affect your mood but it will also affect how much you really learn from what you are studying.
    3. Take some time for yourself if you feel like you have burnt out, this way you can come back refreshed after a few days break. But don't become too lax, flick through your notes (if you have any) or your coursebook just to keep yourself informed.

12) What to do during/after Burnouts!

Now the credit goes to TonyB for this!

1. When you have burnt out don't completely stop working, simply just flick through your notes and work book just to keep yourself refreshed for when you come back. This should only be an hour thing at max.
    2. When you are back from a burnout and feel like you can take on the material again, you will more than likely end up in what the kids call "the zone!" during this time if you finish your lesson and submit the TMA and feel like you have nothing to do, find some "extra curricular" work to do from the internet. This way you can be still learning and having fun but at the same time not wasting your "in the zone time".

13) Don't get disheartened by feedback!

The reason I have brought this up is because recently a good friend of mine started his university course. Him and his class were tasked with a project that needs to be finished by a month before the end of the course. He has no problems with this but a few of his uni friends blazed through some of the designs and got really disheartened by their tutors feedback as he felt it was rushed (which some of it was to be honest) and wouldn't hold up as a portfolio work piece.

The thing is with feedback is you will always get it no matter where you go in the world, no matter what job or career you head for. You have to take the bad with the good and the good with the bad. If someone doesn't like your game and leaves constructive criticisms in a post/email etc don't get stressed/annoyed or disheartened by it as no game is perfect and there is no need to take it personally. No matter how harsh the feedback always look at it and act upon it professionally. Feedback is one of your greatest tools in making a game that people will enjoy!

On a side note to this, I recently attended the LIT that was about Advertising Your Game (or something along those lines) and it mentioned feedback and one of the most important points that was raised about feedback was this, "AVOID at all costs arguing with people who have given you feedback" even if they have not left any constructive criticism.

End of guide

================================================== =======

I hope this is informative and helps fellow students when they are down. Remember this point though, we can only help you so far when it comes down to motivation, the rest is up to you!

A big thank you to everyone who has helped students overcome their motivation problems by posting tips such as the ones above on the topics that open up

Also if you have any additions you think are worth pointing out that I have missed from the various topics I have looked at then please mention them below. Same applies if you have any recommendations for books and sites to get items from.

(please feel free to inform me if there's any spelling mistakes)

Thanks for reading.

(sorry ran out of space on the first post, is there anyway this could be moved onto the first page please?)
    Last edited by Thunderball; 10-12-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Feel free to send me a friend request just make sure to message me you're from Train2Game!
    GamerTag: PKTHUND3RBALL Skype: thunderball.1991 Steam: GameDevThunderball Tumblr: http://gamedevthunderball.tumblr.com/ Twitter: @GameDevThunder Youtube: Thunderball/

Yeah this thread is very useful along with the exellent videos. The way i do things is work one day then rest the next, either by going to the pub or playing games etc. But very importantly, dont do work all the time, I'm not saying its a bad idea but the whole point of this course is so you can take your time on it and dont have deadlines to meet, so dont go burning yourself out.

Thanks everyone for the nice replies, I have gotten a few things to add from what you have all mentioned and will update the thread tommorow when I am not falling asleep behind the keyboard!

Could a mod place Post #23 to the Post #2 as I have exceeded 10,000 chars in one post and therefore had to start another text. Thanks in advance. And keep the ideas coming in people!

Feel free to send me a friend request just make sure to message me you're from Train2Game!
    GamerTag: PKTHUND3RBALL Skype: thunderball.1991 Steam: GameDevThunderball Tumblr: http://gamedevthunderball.tumblr.com/ Twitter: @GameDevThunder Youtube: Thunderball/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVzs...layer_embedded

I created a PNG file for use on desktops of this list.

Inbox me your email if you want me to send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittpie View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVzs...layer_embedded

I created a PNG file for use on desktops of this list.

Inbox me your email if you want me to send it.
    Sounds cool, however instead of getting people's email addresses you could upload it to dropbox and then make it a public link, you could save some time and effort that way. Also nice video it has some good simple bullet points.

I have updated the thread in some areas.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 10-08-2011 at 11:19 PM.

This is a great post thank you !

Im actually a prime example of what can happen if your not motivated, I started my Artist and Animators course around January/February, and iv only just started properly this month all because i got so lazy with the course and half the time completely forgot about it ! But now iv put myself on a strict schedule to keep myself on track and motivated.

Brilliant. I have found that just even coming on the forum has given me a lot of motivation. Even though I still have no clue who I am or even if this is the proper universe I'm on.

Great post, im struggling to get motivated at the moment, i work full time so when i get home i just want to shower have a few hours on the ps3 and go to bed.
    Plus i get easily distracted lol

depends what you are looking for? There is blacklight retribution which is a futuristic first person shooter, do you have a steam account? and maybe you should start a new thread about this or private message me as this thread is not really suitable. As it is motivation related, some great tips here though
    Last edited by M3RCH4N3RY; 05-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    TWITTER FACEBOOK BLOGGER "I WILL RUIN YOU, ALL OF YOU" - NUCKY THOMPSON