Thread: Game Design Document

Post Game Design Document

If like me you're just starting Portfolio Project 1 and wanted to know what a Game Design Document looked like, you may want to point your mouse at this here link: CLICKY CLICK

It's a template designed by Chris Taylor (of Dungeon Seige & Supreme Commander fame) so it pretty much covers everything you may need in a design document.
    Last edited by mattwombat; 02-23-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Not a 'technical' design document

Just confirm this is a Games Design Document, not a Technical Design Document ?
    As not the same thing - I have great difficulty doing the Design Document, no idea what to say -
    being a Developer am ok with the TDD
    so this helps thanks

Ahhh, I wasn't aware of the difference between the Games Design Document and the Technical Design Document. But yes, this does help with the general layout and wording.

Will update my post!

Quote Originally Posted by mattwombat View Post
    Ahhh, I wasn't aware of the difference between the Games Design Document and the Technical Design Document. But yes, this does help with the general layout and wording.

Will update my post!
    For a contrasting statement to you devs

If I understand it correctly the GDD and the TDD get used side by side in a games full production, the GDD is the designer portraying the vision, the feel, the ins and outs of what they need the objects and such to do. The TDD is the programmers stating what they have done so far with the game code wise and what kind of code they used (or whatever you kids are calling it).

So the GDD is like a description of what is needed, and a TDD is the code behind the scenes that is used to pull of what the designer has described.

Well that actually hurt my head to type but hopefully I helped out a little.....and are not to way off with my interpretation of a TDD....No doubt someone will tell me I'm talking tripe huh ^_^
    DESIGN SECTION STUDENT MODERATOR
    IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A POST OR A POSTER THEN HIT THE REPORT BUTTON ()
    Studying Game Design - Section 3 Part C ... final stretch.
    Ongoing Project - Bloodlines : The birth of Renatus with Endofline Studios
    THE LIFE OF A GAMES DESIGN STUDENT
    Here is a student map, why not add yourself!
    Here is a Train2Game student chat room, why not pop in and say hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkers View Post
    Well that actually hurt my head to type but hopefully I helped out a little.....and are not to way off with my interpretation of a TDD....No doubt someone will tell me I'm talking tripe huh ^_^
    Not at all, very clear description..
    I am still having difficulty with portfolio projects 1 & 2 (Dev course)
    basically - pp1 seems to be a GDD and pp2 a TDD,
    but if you have written the code before doing any document at all ! then it's difficult as you have to invent the GDD to suit what you've actually done
    - anyone onther devs having this problem ?

I coded my game without any notes/documents nothing - so now am having to make up the documents as I go

Advice to anyone doing the pps - do pp1 first as they say - even if you're an experienced coder !!

Yeah this looks exactly how i would expect a game design document to look. I've looked at the GDD for games such as leisure suit larry and this is very similair. The game design document is pretty time consuming as it should detail pretty much every part of the game from a design translating to a developers point of view. Pretty sure that's how it works

This isn't the developers job surely ?
    I reckon the developer course is too hard in that respect, we have to produce a game design -
    and code it as well, whereas the designers just have to design (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm a coder (programmer) not a designer -
    give us break, read the code comments, sod the GDD !!

Yeah Q, the developers should sod it or better just have a designer get it done for you if possible.
    I agree though, if you guys have to do that too, its pretty harsh lol.

Quote Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
    This isn't the developers job surely ?
    well techincally, whoevers game concept it is should do the gdd as they are the ones that knows what they want out of the game, which would usually be the designer but not always. For instance, if we were making a game together and you wanted me to design your idea, there would only be so much I could do without you before I needed your input because you are the one who has the vision, and unless we had a long talk and I asked alot of conceptual questions to understand what you want from the game, I wouldn't be able to get a decent GDD out of it.

But it is usually the desigenr that does it, also even if it was your idea I would make most of the GDD for you but like I said you would need to "fill in the blanks". In that case you would be the deisgner of the game, and the designer would be the co-designer I guess. I think it's harsh that you would have to write up a GDD though, but I guess to make an effective TDD you would need good knowledge of a GDD.....I don't know I'm still a noob around here ^_^
    DESIGN SECTION STUDENT MODERATOR
    IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH A POST OR A POSTER THEN HIT THE REPORT BUTTON ()
    Studying Game Design - Section 3 Part C ... final stretch.
    Ongoing Project - Bloodlines : The birth of Renatus with Endofline Studios
    THE LIFE OF A GAMES DESIGN STUDENT
    Here is a student map, why not add yourself!
    Here is a Train2Game student chat room, why not pop in and say hello!