Thread: guess who needs help again. . . .

Unhappy guess who needs help again. . . .

ok so, list at least ten resources for finding market key figures.
    what is this asking me for, are we talking like money figures, i guess not.
    i can only guess that it is asking me for ten ways to find out what the market has to say about the competition for the game i am theoretically creating.
    or not?
    i dont know
    please help

Ok... imagine if you were reading the wikipedia page about Console wars at
    If you search on the page for "Worldwide sales figures", it takes you down to a section that reads thus:
    Worldwide sales figures
    1. Wii – 70.9 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][30]
    2. Xbox 360 – 41.7 million as of 23 July 2010 (2010 -07-23)[update][31]
    3. PlayStation 3 – 35.7 million as of 31 March 2010 (2010 -03-31)[update][32]

If you click on the numbers at the ends they take you to the source links for those figures. Let's take the figures for the Wii as an example. Clicking on the "[30]" link takes you to the bottom and shows "^ "Comparing the world wide sales of the Wii"."
    That probably counts as a "key market figure" - after all, if you decide to make your game to support all 3 platforms, it gives you a potential audience of 146 million consoles. If you made your game for the PS3 only, then it's only 35 million. On the other hand, if you make it for PS3 only you can optimise it for that platform, might get a deal from Sony as it's "exclusive", and won't have to worry about code portability.

There are loads of websites that detail demographics for how many people like FPS games or strategy games, or ratio of girls to boys, or number of people who prefer online MMOs to offline single players. All of those should reveal key market figures to you.

Does that help?