Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Light gun games- Are they dead?

Default Light gun games- Are they dead?

There seems to have been a death in this genre since house of the dead, time crisis and silent scope. I think there was an attempt at time crisis 3 on PS3 last year that fell on its feet.

Does anyone have any ideas how to revive this failling genre?

Isn't there plenty of on rails shooters for wii, dead space extraction, house of the dead overkill, res evil umbrella chronicles and darkside chronicles. For the last few years wii has seemed like the obvious choice to do this sort of game, as you don't even need a full new peripheral just a wiimote and optional gun case, although now that it's decided that adult games arn't selling on wii, I wouldn't be surprised if you see some on ps and xbox, utilising the motion control technologies due out last quarter. I'd like to see them find a way to use natal for this sort of game
    Come speak to us on the Unofficial T2G IRC channel

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    There seems to have been a death in this genre since house of the dead, time crisis and silent scope. I think there was an attempt at time crisis 3 on PS3 last year that fell on its feet.

Does anyone have any ideas how to revive this failling genre?
    I didn't until I read this, but I am keeping it hush hush!

I guessing with the PS3 motion controllers there is bound to be a few more, and there are a few decent ones on the Wii as mentioned in a preverious post.

Quote Originally Posted by Topodude View Post
    I guessing with the PS3 motion controllers there is bound to be a few more, and there are a few decent ones on the Wii as mentioned in a preverious post.
    I also think the potential is there for natal, instead of building optics and lasers into a gun, you could use natal to a gun that was really just an identifiable marker, with just a switch for firing. It could just trigger an led, so it doesn't need to be connected at all. This would be cheap to produce but with the precision of natal. I don't know if they will restrict peripherals from natal altogether, but if they don't ther are possibilities like this

yeah I see how that could work, but it would all depends just how powerful it is, to what can be done with it. I'm hoping Natal is something awesome worth waiting for rather than a giommick trying to compete with the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Topodude View Post
    yeah I see how that could work, but it would all depends just how powerful it is, to what can be done with it. I'm hoping Natal is something awesome worth waiting for rather than a giommick trying to compete with the Wii.
    Bear in mind natal wasn't just developed by Microsoft for gaming. The development was started by a little tech company, Microsoft saw potential and bought them, and it's planned to interact with more than games. By all accounts it's very impressive. Shame they've removed independant processor to get price down, but necessary.

yea natal is going to be awesome (from all the info iv seen) and if you havent seennatal here is a link to a few videos of the demo of Natal

http://http://www.youtube.com/result...ery=natal&aq=f
    The only gaming problem iv got is iv only got two arms and three consoles.

http://www.causewaygames.com

With the relative success of the Rock Band and Guitar Hero series it does show that consumers are willing to pay more for a game when it is bundled with a controller (Guitar, Drums etc) and the same should really apply to the Light Gun games.
    You still seem them in the arcades and they are a perfect game for the arcade, but I don’t think they translate well to a console. I had Time Crisis II and Ninja Assault on the PS2 both of which I liked but they had no reply value and were fairly short games.
    You had the 2 player option but that was again limited.

How do you revive this failing genre?
    Make the games for the console not just porting the arcade version on to the consoles.
    Could the player have more control on the direction the go??
    Remember in Time Crisis you moved to a location, had a battle and then moved to the next area on the map – even if it was only a short distance – like out the window on to the balcony.
    So if there was a button on the gun (not the trigger) where the player could press it to bring up the map of the level and shot where they wanted to go. The character would then run to that area. There is risk and reward tactics - Short distances are safer but take longer and more gun battles vs. longer distances where you are exposed for longer increasing the chance of being shot. This would make the multiplayer modes more tactical between players as they have to pick the best spots to cover each other. It would also open up the multiplayer games as it would be possible to have more than two players working together in co-op mode or even a team vs. team mode.
    If this is planed well enough I think it could be good style game to play as the player has to think more and get involved with position and tactics in the game rather than just shooting anything that moves on screen.

Any one else got any thoughts???

About the Reply about Natal & PSEye would make great additions to the Light Gun Game series, making it easier for devs & programmers to make these kinda games, quicker as well

Also i think the only light gun game for the PS3 was limited to your TV size....50 in was the biggest you could play it on...at the time i was using a Projection screen to run my PS3 which was cool as hell...sadly i only played Golf on it Teh he.....

Yes light gun games rule, they still amke going to the local arcade a laugh... i can gamble only so much