Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Technical Design Document

Default Technical Design Document

Portfolio project 1 for the developer course is to create a technical design document. I'm having trouble understanding a few of the headings so could I get some help on these please;

Data Management
    Memory allocation

Last edited by jmpBake; 02-17-2010 at 10:35 AM.

The project documentation isn't very clear about what's expected, but I believe it includes both a technical design doc AND the accompanying game.

From what I understand:
    Data management is how you manage your game object data. I think that some sort of class diagram would be needed here.

Memory allocation is how you plan to allocate memory for game resources - do you allocate everything as its needed, or are things pre-allocated in pools. Do you load all resources at the start of the game, or do you only load and unload resources that are needed on each screen / state. The project description seems to allude to writing sort of memory budget plan.

There was a thread not so long ago about TDD's. I've grabbed a few of those and I'm using ideas from each for what to include in my document.

Can we get a template TDD for the student Vault?

I personally found the Baldwin Game Design Document Templates quite handy for actually writing up Portfolio 1, some bits can be merged into one and other parts can be removed altogether... but that's the beauty of TEMPLATES! :P Maybe you guys might find it helps you too?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...GQbBj8T_ZBFrdQ
    When in doubt, Brew Up!

This was my ' Table of Content ' for Prject 1. This may not be your case. Each game has its own specifics. Table shown here is just an example.

Table of Contents

DESIGN HISTORY .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............ 3
    Version 1.00 …................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................. 3
    Version 2.00 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................... 3
    GAME OVERVIEW …………………….......................................... .................................................. ....................................... 3
    PHILOSOPHY .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................... 3
    PHILOSOPHICAL POINT #1 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...... 3
    PHILOSOPHICAL POINT #2 …................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... 3
    PHILOSOPHICAL POINT #3 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..... 3
    COMMON QUESTIONS …………………………........................................ .................................................. .................................................. ... 3
    WHY DID I CREATE THIS GAME ? .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................ 3
    WHAT IS THE VISUAL APPEARANCE OF THE GAME ? .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......... 3
    WHAT DOES THE PLAYER CONTROLS ? …................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................. 3
    GAME FLOW DIAGRAM ............………………………............................. .................................................. ............................... 4
    EXPLANATION OF THE GAME MECHANICS IN RELATION TO THE GAME FLOW DIAGRAM ( PSEUDO CODE ) ….......................... 5
    STEP 1 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................... 5
    STEP 2 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................... 5
    STEP 3 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................... 6
    STEP 4 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................... 7
    STEP 5 .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................... 7
    DIFFICULTY DIAGRAMS …................................................. .………………………………..................................... .................. 8
    CLASS DIAGRAM …................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............. 9
    REQUIRED SPECIFICATION ………………............................................ .................................................. ............................. 10
    ASSETS AND INPUT DEVICE …................................................. .................................................. ............................................ 10
    RANDOM CHOICE AND MOUSE CONTROL C++ IMPLEMENTATION …................................................. ..................... 11
    GAME STATES C++ IMPLEMENTATION …................................................. ......……………………………....................... 13
    Last edited by Willow; 02-03-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Nice one Willow.

How did/is* your project 2 come(ing)* along?

*Add/delete** as appropriate

**Add/delete*** as appropriate

***Etc
    When in doubt, Brew Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzamondo View Post
    Nice one Willow.

How did/is* your project 2 come(ing)* along?

*Add/delete** as appropriate

**Add/delete*** as appropriate

***Etc
    My ( both) projects were approved 5-6 months ago. If you have any questions about Project 2 I'll be happy to answer.
    Last edited by Willow; 02-04-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Hey Willow,

A question about project 2 sort of relating to project one aswell so I'll post it here...

Did your code implementations for each part of project 2 link together to form the game you TDD'd for project 1?

or

Did you just code a small program for each part of project 2?

Cheers!

I got confused as well when doing the projects -

Project 1 is document saying what you plan to do and describes to someone else how to make the game.

Project 2 is document and code for each of the sub headings Sprite Blitting / Serialisation / Memory Management / Procedural Generation / etc. Don't think it matters wether your game works or not, more that you've coded the sub headings and explain what you've done

Still haven't finished as have ended up doing 2008 and 2010 version

- there is so much "need to know" editing required for us devs, have spent hours getting to grips with
    deployment / platforms etc. , is that part of the dev course ? No but we need to know that sh..

We need to know everything XD