Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Thread: Making An Online Portfolio

Bahero your portfolio is awesome great work and I'm looking forward to seeing your game's one day as you seem to be a great fan of the RPG genre which is my most beloved genre too. Also agree with you that an RPG should have a compelling story and motivate players to do everything possible in the game and each thing they do should have an impact it's always been a dream of mine to make a game like that one day
    Last edited by grimdeath999; 03-21-2010 at 10:29 AM.

haha before we steal the topic about rpg games being absolutly awesome, which they are. I have had a dream to work on RPG games since i played games like star wars knights of the old republic, Fable: the lost chapters (huge influence on my life)

Peter molyneux is an amazing designer his concept of RPG is really accurate, however i do see faults in his ability to present his ideas. There has been alot of forum topics started around the web about fable 2 and why it didn't perform as well as it should of and to be honest when reading them although i loved the fable series they are correct.

Another thing to remember about RPG's is they are a lot of work and programmers will hate you alot of the time, cause the things they have to code to make it work, say you want a certain quest to have a certain effect on the world at a later date or the leveling system, character customisation all these things are a hell lot of work, but i hope my team realises it's worth it .
    Unity3D curious

ah star wars knights of the old republic ive still got that game sitting along with my PC game's
    I'm a huge fan of Bioware and the Baldur gate's series those were some of the first RPG's i ever played along with some of the early final fantasy's. Currently playing Bioware's Dragon age origins which I'm finding to be amazing and well thought out.

Only ever played Fable the lost chapters so far and I'm not all the way through it but i really enjoy the game and the way it presents itself probably my favourite RPG series though is Grandia from the playstation 1 era it was so underrated at its time yet its story was just amazing it was simple but played so well.

I also love good character development in RPG's it make's the player feel more attached to their surroundings and the character's in the game world.

I'm definitely probably going to have alot of programmers hate me one day but i would help out as best I can and would be willing to sacrifice some idea's to make it easier on them

well robobuddy as you will undoutably find out when i start documenting more on the forums, is very customisation based, because lets face it an rpg is going from a weak poor person, to a rich powerful wrecking ball that could devour towns.

Because of this i decided to make a huge customisation system, where you can modify items, place them on the robot etc. with also a hard drive system which allows the robotic suit to take on skills and features such as a HUD system that can be developed by the player to advance in features etc.

There is also a need for a good story line, i have decided to undermine this The one big story is the universe is at war, however i have created that each city and world has its own story plots and twists and it depends on the players actions how the story for them will develop, immersing them in a free world to explore and hopefully will make sure no player gets the same experience.
    Unity3D curious

yeah i would like to see a RPG quite like that
    Customization also is an amazing idea as most gamer's nowadays love the idea of being able to create their character in their own way nd have it play the way they want.
    also love the idea that each place you go to has a different story. It sounds like you would have some type of reputation system on each planet then depending on your actions during these stories ?

Also think that RPG's should have more than one ending in these types of game where there is a karma or reputation system in place and each should be completely different.

I like the idea of skills usually i would say adding more of them that the player is allowed to chose make's the player more wise about their choices and the way they would play the game

basically planets will be taken over, implode etc. when the war continues, cities will be destroyed, making all the quests and story there disappear. Until you repair said city etc. so you will have to work your ass off to get 100% through in one game play, to help planets you will unlock specific features and items that are only accessible to them, so if a planet gets destroyed there maybe technology you will no longer be able to gain anything from there and as story develops the technology that the planet has will improve greatly.

A good example of this is you will start off with a car that will drive with 4 wheels like you see today, by the end of the game you may have teleportation equipment and cars that hover off the ground.

The one problem i have about rpg's is if your evil you still get attacked by evil people and you still fight the same evil boss, that is why in robobuddy there is no one singular boss but both sides own a big boss that could be taken out dependant on players decisions.
    Unity3D curious

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bahero View Post
    Another thing to remember about RPG's is they are a lot of work and programmers will hate you alot of the time
    That's untrue. What programmers do hate are designs that keep changing making it very difficult to progress.

Haha fair shout there. I'm getting better.
    Unity3D curious

I'm in the middle of making an online portfolio with a great hosting and services help from bhmedimarty, will be posting the link in my sig when complete.

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.

I have recently made a portfolio site for myself using Wordpress.

www.crystalskye.co.uk

There are loads of free Wordpress templates you can use as well as plugins, so Wordpress would be my choice for creating your portfolio website.

Free Wordpress themes

Premium Wordpress themes

And just google for free hosting if you dont want to pay for it
    Last edited by CrystalSkye; 03-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.