Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Robobuddy - Sci-fi - Role Playing Game

Default Robobuddy - Sci-fi - Role Playing Game

Game name:
    Robobuddy

High Concept:
    Robobuddy is going to use the concept that players who enjoy RPG's enjoy a good character customization experience, War has broken out across the galaxy as aliens from another galaxy have decided to invade for self gain and you must play as a robot to help the efforts of the war.

We want a player to enter a galaxy that will evolve and mold into representation of a players achievements, a lot of RPG's promise this and i feel they ruin this concept with a very strong story line that has to be followed e.g. you must fight this final boss. Now Robobuddy will have story line i mean it's what keeps a RPG so compelling, however it will be dulled down more too theres one bad guy and one hero. There is a war on, now you will have the choices of who you want to fight with which planets or cities you want to defend etc. and this will all be progressed up to very gradually so players can feel comfortable with what there doing, story line will give them the guide lines in what to do but in the end they must make that final decision.

Customization will be implemented using a workshop, this will be an upgradeable feature that will continue throughout the game and as you progress more and more features will become open to you in how you can build and develop your robot.

Genre:

Role playing game

Design Goals:

We want to create a game that compels the player to want to make a galaxy and a player that is suitable to them, there is no good and evil it's just going to be what the player does and the consequence of that action. We also want to make sure that we create a customization system that allows a player to create a unique robot that will have no restriction in capabilities to complete objectives or do certain activities.

The Razor X:
    Robobuddy will give off a multiple combat system, in which the player can enjoy first person, third person guns and mle to give off an action based combat feel.

Features / Player Motivation / Unique selling points:

3 intuitive Galaxy's that offer a unique sense of exploration
    customization that will have a lack of restriction due to not having to stick to a human exo skeleton.
    Worlds in which there state could be effected in your contribution to the war
    Plenty of sub plot to keep the player compelled to try new things
    A multi player system in which players can play together or against in the battle for the galaxies.
    A level system not based on experience points or level but on the choices they make in the game.

Player Motivation

If a player chooses to rescue/ defend certain planets those planets will obviously receive less damage then if you sat back and did nothing. This will effect the planets economy which will have an effect on how much items and materials cost. It will have an effect on technological findings so the player will not be able to access new technology to boost his robot.

The basic game controls:
    We will be using the keyboard and mouse to help maneuver the robot controls will stick to the stereotypical fps control system, but will also contain buttons for moves such as roll and using a jet pack or thrusters etc.

Target demographics:

We plan to hit a target audience that have a interest in RPG as we feel we are offering a new spin on the genre and players that enjoy to create and design so they can enjoy what they have created.

Target formats:

We are going to base Robobuddy on the PC but also may develop it further later on for the xbox360 console so we can take full advantage of the xbox live feature for updates and multi player gaming.

Budget:

This project is for portfolio work only and will not be providing funding to any of it's members, however by the end of creation we may decide to offer it to publishers in the hope of making it a worldly bought game, if this so happens people will be presented money for there work that we will keep account of.

In closing:

I am working with Martin (Bhmm) and Brett (Geezeruk) Ricko3d and mykitten'saninja plus i have two friends helping me with the development of design documents as they can offer a second opinion.

Martin and Brett are obviously very renowned on these forums and trust me they do not disappoint when working along side them, they are dedicated and extremely passionate, you can enjoy there company to a very high extent and they always offer 110%. Ricko is renowned for his first welcome post as he presented the most stunning of cars that i have seen in D, he has joined in the hope of increasing his portfolio and i can't wait to see his progress as he is a amazing artist. Mykitten'saninja i believe is hard at work on a sewage system for one of the main cities i can't wait to see how it turns out.

Me i am very passionate but still learning, i always listen to critisism, in fact i hope for it, how else am i going to learn? I will spend every day on msn or mIRC trying to build up documents that can be used to help the progress of this game, i always listen and i hope to build up a good community of game developers and designers in making this project.

If you are interested in hearing more or want to be considered for a place message me with a small blurb about how you want to help and when positions open up i will be messaging people who have taken a interest.

Thank you
    Last edited by Bahero; 01-21-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    Unity3D curious

thank you matt, i feel like i've improved in my ability to advertise since my last post.
    Unity3D curious

Nice improvement, glad to see some content finally coming out so we can get our teeth into and start to work and help out as team.

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.

theres plenty of information if you look at the documentation on the website ricko
    Unity3D curious

Finally figured how to add the third person controls and camera to the little demo world I created. Sadly the robot I wanted to use isn't defined properly yet but I'll get that sorted now I have a clearer understanding of where I'm going with him and how to link specific parts etc. so will have the real one added, change the buildings, add a better skybox and roll out a web playable version of it.

Was pleased I figured out how to get the right camera movements as the one that I was originally assigning to the player meant that you had to move using controls and couldn't look around using the mouse, so I'm a lot happier with the control scheme.

Anyway, click the image below to have a look at some screenshots from the game at various stages of development.

Very nice work Marty !

Excellent shots there bhmediamarty,you where saying in those shots you where replacing the textures,i think some of them are creating a nice atmosphere and would not replace them all.Looking forward to more.

We also going to release RoboBuddy: Text Adventure as am building the engine then level editor so can pass that to the deisgners who can build the game then we can release.. the text adventure is a mini intro game for the main game of RoboBuddy whilst us devs are building up our skills

Good work so far guys!

Im in no position to help out at all, but I wish you guys the best of luck. Keep posting the progress though, it's looking good.

So jealous that I can't do anything to help

Quote Originally Posted by DRYZ3R View Post

So jealous that I can't do anything to help
    Why cant you come and help?

Have a chat with Daniel Poat (BAHERO) more the merry especialy if you are a dev or artist.. but even more designers are very welcome ad we building some mini game seris also so designers can be needed to help for them mini series