Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Thread: Robobuddy - Sci-fi - Role Playing Game

Ah cheers mate!

Im a little embarrassed now

Just added another picture to the robobuddy screenshots.

http://www.forum.train2game.com/albu...pictureid=1659

Currently working on in game objects, brick walls, corrugated sheets and other day to day construction materials to use in order to build up a more professional prototype level.

Thats awesome stuff.. Wish i could help you out with working on the physics programing side of things for your prototype there... looks gd cant wait to play a build of the prototype you building there...

Default Slow progression

Apart from commenting on what's happening with this project, I'm also going to be taking a slight sidestep here for a moment to talk not only about Robobuddy and what I'm up to on it, but also some things in comparison to other games, a AAA title and another project I'm working on.

At present, I'm working on the prototype introduction to RoboBuddy. After a good chat with Bahero over the last couple of evenings we've pretty much nailed a few things down to work on so I'm going to be implementing our discussions into the game. MyNinjaKitty has also given me some good ideas for things I need to script and trigger in order to use an area she's been working on, which I think is an interesting concept and has actually added some variations and puzzle aspects of the game that I hadn't heard mentioned or had personally thought of before.

But from the humble beginnings of the map that's currently shown in my robobuddy album, at the moment I'm working on new, more detailed models, more refined for this engine or indeed any engine if the game was ported elsewhere, and I'm going to be working from a planned out map instead of just a random scattering of objects as I have now.

And this is where we go to comparisons of other games.

A while back BaHero posted up some images of different things, robots, weapons etc. that he'd come up with, and in a chat we had last night I pointed out how much work needs to be put into each of these things. For all it's great having all these random ideas for different weapons and objects, when you come to actually pull the game together, pretty much every aspect of these items needs to be planned out and documented in order for them to be incorporated into the game and used in any way like it's supposed to.

It's one thing that many people neglect.

They think, "I'm going to make a game and it's going to have 50 different player types and 100 different weapons", and that's all it takes.

(ignoring my usual "sword, axe, big sword..." analogy) when I was looking at the assets used in Fallout3 recently, I discovered that over the entire map there were some 12,571 textures/bump maps used, and 15,247 meshes, spread across something like 800+ different categories. But the thing is that each and every one of those textures, bump maps and meshes, has been given a name, and a purpose. Some of the meshes also have animations built in, but each one of these, has been designed, crafted, painted, and animated, for a purpose. That's 27,818 assets in total.

Going to a slightly lesser extreme, this example targets smaller casual games. Another game I'm working on is Galoop with CrystalSkye of DreamTime Interactive. With this, I'm currently working on 10 different expressions on the galep's faces. Not so bad, 10 expressions, 30 frames of animation. So that's 300 animation frames. But then, there's 4 different colours (not including any additional colours and character types that get added as the game progresses). But now that I've got 4 colours and 10 different expressions, that means that there's a total of 1200 animation frames over 40 different sprites. Each which has a name consisting of the colour_expression. Add a sour galep in there, another potential sprite designs, then there's the conveyor belt, the liquid into bottles which adds another 5 animations and we're nearing 60 different assets with that.

So to recap my previous waffle, if you're making a game, of any size, REALLY THINK about what you're putting in, and instead of just scribbling a number down and saying "i'm going to create 100 different enemy ships and they're all going to have different weapons and armour etc." pause for a moment, and write down a couple of different ships, what makes them different, how do they move, how many shots do they take to kill, but write them down. Every now and again, if you think up something else, add it to the list. Eventually you'll start to build up a library of concepts that you can then look through and find ideas for others that can be made from an amalgamation of parts of different ideas. You'll eventually find you have something that can then be turned into actual game objects and you may find that you've got enough, or you may have created more ideas than you originally thought of. But if you ignore it then it'll never amount to anything, and if you try to push all the ideas out in one go, it'll just be sword, axe, big sword, big axe, bigger sword.......................

(damn, I did use that analogy)

Nicely done Marty. A glorious and important point well made.

I don't think I could even attempt to take the limelight away from that post!!!

What my aim principally is, is to strive to achieve focus... focus on not making a game but streamlining that game making process, we are all there in our own time and good will, trying to contribute something as a team member to our team that is not only effective and pointful to the purpose but consise, managed as a resource and fully utilized (Specifically, models, textures, scripts and documentation).

One interesting thing of late, which Marty mentioned was breaking down how people convey an idea to the idea itself.

In everyone's mind, when we have an idea, whether project related or anything at all, we have a mental image. Most humans have difficulty when describing that same image thats perfect to them, in a verbal or written format.
    So... as everyone is different, and the words they choose to express themselves, have so many different meanings and conutations(in the English language it is amazingly how many different words generally mean the same thing) ...
    We simply break down a 'fantastic idea' someone has into simple and less expressive words but more of them, instead of 'fantastic big sword' we use 'sharp, elongated sword with a dull metal tone' etc.

This methodology whilst primitive and probably considered second nature to some, is something we are trying to nail on the head to maximise our portrayl of our game to it's full realisable vision outlined by Bahero.

I hope that all made sense and you enjoyed this little insite into Robobuddy, and it didn't come across as rubbish! :X

I think that was one of Marty's posts I managed to read the whole of lol.
    Nah some excellent points there dude. I've seen a couple of teams start and fail within a couple of days, or a week or so, because of no actual structured design plan. I know I'm no expert 'yet :P' but the planned detail of exactly what excist's and why has always felt important to me.
    So good job there dude.

Thanks Angelsflame. I tried to condense that one as much as I could.

Default Robobuddy goes Loco!

Yes, as the title of this post states, Robobuddy has indeed gone Loco.

Locomotion to be precise.

Me and Foxosaur have been looking into Locomotion and finally pleased to say we're getting somewhere. Although I'm still working on getting the system running perfectly with a temporary character which will ultimately be replaced by something either myself or Rico3k are working on, I'm semi pleased that I'm learning how to incorporate locomotion into my own scene and my own (albeit borrowed) character rather than pulling the model that came with the locomotion scripts into my scene and having everything predefined without actually learning.

Although a lot of you will be wondering what the heck locomotion is, if you look at the image above, you'll notice that rather than previous screenshots of Lerpz that are in my gallery, this one's feet have adapted themselves to the terrain on which Lerpz is standing, and that, simply, is the beauty of locomotion. It's a very clever set of scripts available for Unity which will adapt a rigged character's feet to angle themselves correctly to the terrain, rather than your character floating, or having to create numerous additional animations to suit various scenarios.

Now all I need to do is fix the animation so he actually runs correctly. He stands great, he just, um, doesn't run very well.

Kudos to foxosaur too for fathoming out the scene jump which and now that I've shipped the loco files over to him I'll let him have a pop at fixing the walk animations.
    Last edited by bhmediamarty; 02-19-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone else worked with Unity and more importantly, locomotion?

I'm of the opinion that the animation of Lerpz isn't suited to the scripts, either that or I've linked up the wrong bone joints, I'll figure that one out later by comparing the bone structure of Lerpz vs Hero (loco's demo character) and see if I can fathom that, but just wondered if anyone else had come across this and played with it at all.

Funny you should mention this but if you look at the dog model used in locomotion, the legs are not quite right, just because of how short they are, bending non naturally. Related to how Lerpz is? Not seen him in action yet tho
    Last edited by Foxtrick; 02-19-2010 at 02:00 PM.