Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Thread: Robobuddy - Sci-fi - Role Playing Game

To be perfectly honest, this isn't really a true representation of what it probably should be, it was mostly an exercise in learning the 3D engine Unity and coming up with a quick playable file for Robobuddy. It started life as a tutorial from an ebook I bought to make an Island, and then I started playing about with adding my own models and textures and trying to build up a run down street, adding effects like distance fog and particle emitters, and fathoming out how to pull a 3rd person camera and my own robot in to the scene. Brett sent me the robot he'd built and animated from scratch but I didn't have all the relevant keyframe points or scripts so I had to go with using Lerpz from Unity's platform gamer tutorial and figure out how to adapt the source files and cameras from there to suit my requirements.

Anyway, I've got a few better detailed models that I'm working on, along with my mech type robot which I'm rigging to similar keyframes as the Lerpz character, so once they're all done and dusted I'll post a detailed version of it, with a slightly flatter, less hilly terrain as I have in this thing and then start working on adding an npc with slight ai and add some form of shooting element to it.

However, with that said, the story is changing all the time as the game concept is being developed so Brett's text based version will probably give a clearer insight into what the direction of the game is currently heading.

Im brand new to the course, so didn't think there would be anything I could do to help. If there is something, no matter how small, I'd love to get involved.

well pop into our chat = http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=ManorUK and have a chat to BAHERO about helping out on this project RoboBuddy :P

Default Robobuddy text based game

Brief description

Robobuddy text based game is being created to offer you the audience a chance to indulge in the events that will lead to the start of Robobuddy, be a Robobuddy expert as you will learn history that some people will never learn such as key characters that you will meet, places you will go to, wars that take place before etc.

You will be playing as a soldier in the war that develops when humans start to traverse around the galaxy from start to finish. The game will test your puzzle solving skills and ability to make decisions in hard situations. How much will you sacrifice to complete a mission?

The story will be split in chapters that will come out every couple of weeks, so that you may look forward to every new chapter with new challenges and storyline.

Features:
    command your character

order around units, define how many bullets to shoot, what gun will you use? Cover system. These commands can be the difference between life and death in a battle situation.

In depth storyline

learn about the story before Robobuddy by meeting key characters and going to key places before the game, you may see a character doing something that makes them famous etc.

Vast amount of inventory

special quest items to help with your mission, vast amount of weapons that will help fight off enemies etc.

Your character

Play as a soldier as he goes up the ranks unlocking new features and storyline along the way.

Release date:
    20th February 2010
    Unity3D curious

First time modelling any mechs, so I've started off with the basic mech and below are the results so far.

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.

At the moment, I've rigged the mech for movement and I'm going to animate it. Trouble is its been like four years since I last rigged anything and I've forgotten most of it lol. But will post the results up once its work in progress.

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.

looks great buddy keep up the good work cant wait to see the finished product
    Unity3D curious

We are calling upon any designers to join the team to help us devs working on the TEXT adventure game and then onto a 2D game engine if interested pop into our chat channel on IRC http://webchat.quakenet.org/ channel #ManorUK if you do not have a IRC client to connect.. look forward to hearing from some student designers..

we now have the text based engine built and running nice i have also built a level editor for it so that i can pass that to the designers to build the game and then can run that through the engine and porduce a game.. with our text based adventure games we are going to be releasing it in chapters so 'RoboBuddy Text Adventure: Chapter 1' is due to be relased hopefully by the 20th Febuary 2010.

We are currenlt running private BETA test for the game at the mo also if interested pop into our chat channel and say hello

we are also working on some great development diarys like the ones here http://elysianshadows.com/project/ but for our dev on RoboBuddy..

Its exciting times here on the robobuddy project as things are progressing along

i have been doing robobuddy for atleast 4 years now and never did i believe while fiddling on rpg maker xp that it would get this far.

I would like to take this moment to offer my thanks to some of the key people in the development of this game as of now.

(GeezerUK) an amazing developer who is as of now working on his own game engine for the game, by starting off with a text based game and moving up through to a 2d game then 3d. His progress has lead to much success and hopefully this new choice of direction will lead to great things.

(bhmediamarty) a great 3d modeller and coder as you may have seen his images earlier and on his profile truely a great inspiration for this game as he takes very little from me in way of direction and yet still ends up with something so close to what i imagine but beware of his rants.

(Foxosaur) the greatest project manager a man could ever ask for, i cant believe how much he has been able to organise our group into a group that can actually begin to make a game we were so in trouble before he came along and there was no way we would of gotten this far this quickly without him.

(Rich) was able to design us websites and help co-ordinate people to joining and help us to build structure for our group very helpful.

(rico3k) a modeller who is used to creating cars came out of his comfort zone and has started helping with modelling robots not an easy feat yet he still tries and what has come out of it is great as you can see from what he has put up.

(MattB) was able to give us alot of advice on how to go on with the project like many of you may have witnessed he is a truely amazing guy.

(DRYZ3R) another one of our game designers who is quite new to the course being able to progress quite quickly with a great imagination and has worked very hard to get up to scratch with the project so far and i cant wait to see idea's that he will be able to provide to the game.

also on a side note from thanking these guys so far

we are creating dev diaries that will be posted on youtube on a regular basis so please keep an eye out for those
    Unity3D curious

ah shucks you shouldnt have