Thread: what to do after 1st book, waiting for second

1. Default what to do after 1st book, waiting for second

as an game app developer what should i look to study during the waiting period between books/assignments.

I've was reading python before i started the course and was managing to write a couple of programs. nothing big but i enjoyed it. i'm also interested in the arts side preferably level design atm.

i only ask the question because I've read on here that as a developer its better to know more than what concept you want to create and how to, but to to be able to physically implement the ideas into a working model yourself. (i saw a couple comments about people at "game jam" that were useless after the concept stage and it got me wondering)

obviously i need to work on GDD'S etc, when should i try to have my first one ready by, how long would they take on average for a mobile game excluding build just the GDD,TDD,and art bible.

should i choose to "master" a subject, i.e. programming, concept artist, level designer, animator etc. and have a general knowledge of the other?
    or try to be "jack of all trades" and learn as much of everything as possible?

if you think theres anything I've missed please i'd be interested to hear your input,

i accidentally put this in app production not development section (if someone could move it if necessary or i can re-post)
    thanks
    Last edited by Red_Fox; 12-04-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    alex gerling

MA dev course

based in north wales

hi RED FOX

im chris a designer course student still on section 1..

i learned from other students here that it actually is good to know a little about all the subjects. because yes you do need to make models. and in order to do them you need knowledge from all sides.

im currently learning from youtube about music composing on FLstudio, and modeling on BLENDER and also working on learning unity. so whatever you learn is good

that is my advice.......and find someone in your course you can talk to by skype or facebook whenever you need.

so u can learn better.

chris

If you want to be the best, you need to study the best
    and make their weaknesses lessons
    from them you will find your new strengths!!!

Hi Red Fox,

I have just got the second book a week or two ago and have just submitted TMA 7.

From my experience working in other fields if you want to manage a team or manage contractors you really do best to have at least a basic working knowledge of anything your work touches, if you have no idea how something works you have no idea if the bloke you are paying is doing a good job or not, or if you are being ripped off.

I would recomend that even if you decide to become an expert in one field (a great idea, that way your skill will always be there to fall back on) try to get at least a bit of knowledge in everything. if nothing else it will help you consider if what you are trying to master will take you in the right direction.
    If you live near brighton and Like D&D, Warhammer, Magic the Gathering and all things Geek let me know, I have a large group of friends and we are always looking for new allies/competition.

Kudos if IDDQD and IDKFA bring back fond memory's

4. Default

thanks for the responses guy's i got the info i needed from that, i gathered that i would at least need a basic understanding of each Discipline just to write the GDD, grim i think you got it when you mentioned having the skill to fall back on.

i guess i'll study both till i feel i like one more than the other and then focus more (not entirely) on that have you guys had your software yet, i find to learn something from just watching someone do it isn't as easy as implementing it yourself. haven't got 3ds max or unity etc. the syllabus says its section two. but if i had it now i could learn while i wait. and read up on coding
    alex gerling

MA dev course

based in north wales

Hi RF

If you need any further help, all the tutor team contacts can be found via my sig

Best
    Eric
    Administration Team Member

The 118 Thread of the Forum can be read here

Hi,

The only software i have been using so far is the Android SDK with Eclipse. for the moment tyring to wrap my head around Java is enough for me

Though I want to start developing for Windows Phone, so as soon as I am done with playing in eclipse I will see if I can get it working in Visual Studios.

Though if you want some software to play with there is the free student catalog to look through, might be something there that interests you.
    If you live near brighton and Like D&D, Warhammer, Magic the Gathering and all things Geek let me know, I have a large group of friends and we are always looking for new allies/competition.

Kudos if IDDQD and IDKFA bring back fond memory's