Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GDD document

Cool GDD document

Hi all,

I'm just starting on the Game Design Document and am very excited about getting started on my first app.

I will put up some bits on this thread for people to have a look at and see if it excites you (if not I've obviously done a terrible job :S)

I am at work at the moment so will try and put up the bits I've done so far later on tonight.
    If you live near brighton and Like D&D, Warhammer, Magic the Gathering and all things Geek let me know, I have a large group of friends and we are always looking for new allies/competition.

Kudos if IDDQD and IDKFA bring back fond memory's

2. Default

Hello Grimvoodoo,

It’s great to see that you are so enthusiastic about getting involved in creating apps and I welcome you to the forums as does everyone else in the student world team.

If you want to look at any real world examples there are plenty of Game Design Documents and other documentation such as pitch documents available online that were actually used in commercial AAA titles. From these you will be able to see a fairly large variation in types and audiences. This link is a good if somewhat small repositories of such documents http://www.gamepitches.com/game-designs/.

We are always looking forward to seeing any documents of your own creation along with the ideas they are inspired from and we encourage you to collaborate and improve each other as much as possible. Remember that when it comes to game documentation there is no one way to write a Game Design Document and the consensus will always change (along with perhaps the audiences in future).

Best of luck,

- T2G-Mark
    Student World Team
    http://www.train2game-online.com
    Existing students call 0845 272 8796 for support

Awesome, thanks for the link, I will check these out tomorrow.

for the time being here is my first draft pitch document

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yhq5g18ga...20-%20Copy.odt
    If you live near brighton and Like D&D, Warhammer, Magic the Gathering and all things Geek let me know, I have a large group of friends and we are always looking for new allies/competition.

4. Default

Looks good for a draft, I like the way you have written out the points you wish to make in each section. The writing style of these points is very much an efficient and to the point style that we would tend to see in a Game Design Document rather than a pitch document though.

I think what you have written so far is very useful for a GDD and therefore easy for a Game Developer to understand what your game is, for a typical pitch document audience however the writing style should be a bit more exciting, with more adjectives to try to immerse the reader. The document as it stands though is well suited to excite another developer (at least, I was excited by it!) - but generally the aim of a pitch document is to excite audiences not so well versed.

As an example Bioshock’s overview section contains such an exciting paragraph on its plot and environment.

"BioShock is a modern day nightmare of the terrifying nexus between religious fanaticism and unbounded science. The player must come to grips with the remnants of a dangerous cult and the technological and biological horrors they've created in their giant underground and undersea complex that lies beneath the sands of a seemingly deserted island."

My recommendations for changes to make in future iterations would be the following (although remember each pitch document is different as with the audience it’s intended for).

Overview

I like this section so far, make it a bit more descriptive as I said before, include a description of levels the player will experience in here from your level design section as well as the fact that the game will have varying numbers of characters.

Gameplay

I think your gameplay section should focus more on how the audience would play the game rather than what is in it. Describing the input mechanisms a bit more (as you touch on in your overview) and what the player's goal for a level would be with how the game would react to the user. You should consider keeping the information on the character types and putting them into their own section, as in my opinion that’s a key part of the game design.

Level Design

This section seems to focus more on the difficulty rather than the design of the levels which is better suited for the gameplay section. Generally if you briefly explain what types of environments a player may face in the game overview you will tend not to need a specific level design section (unless you feel that it’s a critical part of your pitch that needs to be explained in more detail).

You should also add a section describing the Unique Selling Points of the game, these should be bulleted points like you have currently that describe what sets this game apart from the competition.

You have some exciting concepts and characters and it sounds like a great app idea, I think with a bit more refinement your pitch document pitches your apps design well.

Well done so far, remember this is but your first draft, by the end you will have a masterpiece.
    Keep on writing!

Mark - Student World Team
    Last edited by StudentWorldTeam; 09-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    Student World Team
    http://www.train2game-online.com
    Existing students call 0845 272 8796 for support

Talking

Excellent feedback thanks

I will make some changes and put up a second draft once i have sorted it.

Looks good, im currently working on mine for PP1 for the developer course.

/MarkR

Enquiry line: 0845 272 8795 | Student Support line: 0845 272 8796

Default Pitch - Second draft

Ok, It's been a while but i now have the second draft of the Pitch document.

Let me know what you think. I used the same Headings as they where listed in the Book, but if this seems inappropriate i can change that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wahnmxi4ps...20-%20Copy.odt

I also have my initial concept that i will put up too, I originally was planing to use the camera to track head movements to pan the camera around, but because a lot of cameras don't have front camera's and it would be much harder to code in the camera
    recognition I decided to stay with the gyroscope, but I left it in the concept anyway because I want to keep the record of me thinking of it originally. anyway, here it is:

Single Player 'find the object' game played through a Key-hole into sealed rooms.
    Players race the clock to find all the items then get a ranking based on time and combos.
    Based in animated environments that are familiar (garages, schools, offices).
    The player must use the gyroscope or camera to adjust the view by moving their head or tilting the device.

I am new to all this but i can say your second draft is much more clearer and well presented. I am hopefully about to start the games development course and personally can't wait. good luck for the future

Thanks m0rg0d and good luck on your course