Thread: Game Design. Section 2 Part A - Portfolio Project 1 (PP01)

Cool Game Design. Section 2 Part A - Portfolio Project 1 (PP01)

Hi Guys,

Just wanted some advice and dont worry this isnt a attempt to cheat or anything like that.

Im currently doing the portfolio project 1 im finding it okay and not stuck but just want to make it as good as possible.

On the Section 'Developer' Can i create a made up company? And just make up information about them, or am i to choose a existing developer?

Cheers,
    Tazz04

"If you think you can, you can. And if you think you cant, your right"

Don't use an existing professional development outfit. There are a few reasons for this. I think the main one is it could be misleading for the reader, if they somehow are lead to believe you are the new lead designer at (pick a name...) Maxis (sorry Will).

Create a studio for the project. Some people use their student team as a starting point and then embelish the facts until that team is big enough and competent enought to handle the project you are writing the Pitch for. If you don't have a team to use as a starting point, make one up entirely. In this way you can tailor the size of the team and costs involved in making your game to eachother, to keep it more realistic. Also it allows you to add a bit more creativity, if you were to go as far as inventing a name, logo, logotype, livery etc for this company.

I hope this has answered you question adequately.

Good work Raymondo. I'm bumping you back up to DS ... only this time make it stand for Detective Sergeant and not Dog Sh*t! - DCI Gene Hunt
    Me fail English? That's unpossible! - Ralph Wiggum
    Portfolio Site of Dooom

Thank you for your response Paladin ,

That makes a lot more sense so with creating a made up company lets say "Team X" for this instance, Can i go on to describe them being the best Developers in the world if i wanted too? or would i need mention them as being a new amateur group?

I don't suppose it matters greatly. As long as you demonstrate that you have a grasp of the team size and expertise required to make your proposed game, then the excess detail is fluff, enhancing the important facts.

I myself took the micro team I was in at the time and made it more grandiose, making logo and livery etc (all the stuff I mentioned previously) to reinforce that is 'now' a professional development setup capable of creating the AAA game I was writing the Pitch for.
    Last edited by Paladin; 02-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Good work Raymondo. I'm bumping you back up to DS ... only this time make it stand for Detective Sergeant and not Dog Sh*t! - DCI Gene Hunt
    Portfolio Site of Dooom

Yeah thats what i thought, Again thanks alot for your quick response

Just to make you aware, you learn how to make your first portfolio project better with lesson 26 i believe. It goes into more detail about what is needed. When i finished this lesson i reviewed my first piece and with the information from that lesson i was able to make my content alot better.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    ― George Carlin

Section 3: Part A

First exam: 87% Second exam: 70%
    PP1: Done PP2: Done PP3: Done PP4: Done PP5: Done
    Assignment 1,2,3 Done

Okay thanks Martin i will take a look

This was very helpful for me as well, thanks to everyone.

Splendid..

Portfolio Site of Dooom