Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 Rapid2D Competition

Default 10,000 Rapid2D Competition

Rapid2D Launches TEN THOUSAND POUND App Competition!
    But that’s not all; there will also be runners up prizes of Xbox 360 consoles and bundles taking the total prize fund way beyond 10,000

Rapid2D, the Game Engine launched at the Evolve Conference, designed specifically for developing on Windows 8, has teamed up with industry sponsor Microsoft Corp. to launch an app competition with a first prize of 10,000.

Aimed at start-ups and student studios, while being open to anyone to enter, teams will be required to submit apps to the Windows Store. The judging will be based on overall app quality submitted by a studio/team.

Myra Smallman, of Rapid2D, also announced, “To create a level playing field for those who are just starting out in the industry, Rapid2D has produced a range of templates for use with our exciting new engine, all available for free to competition entrants.”

Anand Krishnan, Senior Director, Developer and Platform Group, Microsoft UK, added, “We are proud to support and sponsor this amazing initiative. It offers opportunities for hobby builders, students and startups to bring their ideas to life. We are excited to see what the next generation of developers, designers, artists and coders can do with the Rapid2D game engine.”

The competition will launch at 15.00pm (UK) on Wednesday 23rd January 2013 via the Rapid2D web site. The first of the 10 templates will also be made available at the same time as will the latest version of the Rapid2D engine, Rapid2D V1.2.

Registration via the Rapid2D website also opens 23rd January. The closing date for the collections of apps being published is 2nd April 2013. All Apps which are to be considered for the competition must be submitted to the Windows Store for approval by 12 midnight on 2nd April 2013.

www.rapid2d.com
    ************************************************** **************************ends
    Notes to Editors:
    It is not a prerequisite of entry to use the Rapid2D engine – entrants can develop a Windows 8 game with any language or middleware platform, whilst we recommend the Rapid 2D engine to utilize the templates and accelerate the game app development.
    Individuals can enter, but obviously teams can share the demanding workload
    Full terms and conditions available via www.rapid2d.com , however entry is restricted to the UK.

Post from Nightsway continues.

I'll give you a brief run-down, but if you're interested, I'd recommend reading this for the specifics.

The Aim:
    Create 5 Windows 8 games, as a team of up to 6, or as an individual.

The Closing Date:
    11:59:59pm GMT on 29th March 2013

Resources:
    -Rapid2D v1.2 (Free Download)

You'll also need Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012. If you have a Dreamspark account, you can get both through there. If not, you can get a Visual Studio 2012 90-day Trial
    -Visual Studio 2012 Trial

For help specific to the competition, you can find it on the:
    -Competition Forum
    Which is also where you'll find the templates, which you can take and adapt. This should save a lot of time with some basic game functionality

If you're new to the engine, there is also:
    -A Rapid2D User Interface Guide
    -Tutorial Videos

If you have any trouble with the engine in general, you can get some help on the:
    -Support Forum
    Last edited by Nightsway; 01-24-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added official press release
    The day we ask 'what is life?' is the day we earn the chance to decide the answer

I've entered. Just going to be making the games by myself. Would be great to win that cash prize.

Just formed a team of three: Designer (me), Artist and Programmer. Will be a worthwhile experience, and of course the opportunity to get prizes is always a plus in my book
    The Enemy of the Best...is the Good
    Innovation beats imitation every time

4. Default

Looking on the Dreamspark website it states "Windows 8 is free for students at universities with a DreamSpark
    Premium subscription."

How do we go about downloading Windows 8 in preparation for development? What would the search term be in the following image (if applicable)?

Capture.PNG

Many thanks

Am I right in assuming that the competition doesn't judge on the quality of the games or the extent of the development within each game but simply goes off the quantity provided, giving you slightly more chance of being picked if you create more games, depending on the number of other entrants to the competition?

Wouldn't that just open this up to a plethora of half baked ideas, clones and potentially poor quality games flooding the store simply to increase the chances of winning the raffle?
    Last edited by bhmediamarty; 01-25-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Indeed, so was my concern and my team when we decided to join it. However, we are still going to try to make the best effort of it as:

1.) Good experience for us to work together
    2.) Chance for other people to play our games

It would be a shame if it came down for the crappiest of the games to win instead of those who put their passion into making a good game. None the less, I'm not letting any opportunities pass me by anymore and time to turn on creative mode!
    The Enemy of the Best...is the Good
    Innovation beats imitation every time

Hi.

I just got the text about this and wanted to register my interest and availability as an environment texture artist if anyone needs one? I specialize in the creation of tiling Diffuse, Normal, Specular, Height maps. You can see some of my work in my profile albums.

It would be good experience and who doesn't want the chance to win some money?

Anyway, drop Liz an email at trugraphicsolutions@yahoo.co.uk if interested, along with your ideas, team members etc etc etc Thanks and good luck to everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsway View Post
    Registration via the Rapid2D website also opens 23rd January. The closing date for the collections of apps being published is 2nd April 2013. All Apps which are to be considered for the competition must be submitted to the Windows Store for approval by 12 midnight on 2nd April 2013
    So that's 3 months to publish 5 apps? I fear the Windows store will be flooded with buggy, half finished, rushed out apps :/

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothnshiny View Post
    So that's 3 months to publish 5 apps? I fear the Windows store will be flooded with buggy, half finished, rushed out apps :/
    Definitely agree.
    Visit me on LinkedIn! CLICK ME!
    Follow me on Twitter!CLICK ME!

Will most likely get flooded, but will not count towards the competition as one of the rule state the game must be finished in order to be accepted.