Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Programming and Game Related Courses (Free)

1. Default Upcoming Programming and Game Related Courses (Free)

I take free courses on Coursera and there are quite a few programming and games related courses starting after the new year. I thought they would be very useful for those of us who are just starting or are waiting to receive test results or for those of us who want a bit more experience.

Programming: (includes maths, computer languages)

Creative Programming for Digital Media & Mobile Apps: starts 1st June

Introduction to Systematic Program Design - Part 1: starts 3rd June

Startup Engineering: starts 17th June

Art & Design: (includes writing skills, drawing)

Crafting an Effective Writer: Tools of the Trade: starts 13th May

Introduction to Art: Concepts & Techniques: starts 27th May

First-Year Composition 2.0: starts 27th May

Gaming (General):

Business & Management

Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies: The 1st Step in Entrepreneurship: starts 20th May
    Last edited by MuirDragonne; 05-03-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added courses for May and June

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!

Nice. The course on algorithms would be very useful. How come it's free? Don't get much for free these days! What are the courses like?

3. Default

All the courses there are free. Coursera, Udacity, EdX...they all offer free courses (which is great for us!). The courses that I've taken so far have all been very good. They're offered by some of the top Universities from around the world and are basically condensed versions of their for-credit, fees-based courses. Obviously, you don't get college/Uni credit for taking the free versions, but it's still knowledge and still helpful for those of us taking this course!

actually sounds like a good idea, I'm going to have a word with the other mods about this being a permanent sticky and sticky it for now, hope you can keep the OP updated maybe start of every month, it would be a great resource for new, and more experienced, students alike, also moving it to the student section of the forum as I think it'll be better there

Student Moderator Team
    Courses | Support | News | About Train2Game | Contact Train2Game
    Enquiry line: 0845 272 8795 | Student Support line: 0845 272 8796

yeah, definitely. Seriously considering the algorithm one in Jan 2013. The T2G course skims the surface of algorithms so it would compliment the course well. The T2G course is good but it does tend to skip over detail in important areas (esp. collision detection, search/sort alogrithms)

6. Default

Cool! Thanks, Ascdren. I'll try to update a month in advance (i.e. if a course starts in February, I'll post a link in Jan) to give everyone ample time to sign up.

Charlie, if you're going to take the Algorithm course(s), I strongly suggest you learn a bit of calculus (if you haven't already) before it starts. Just a general knowledge of the subject will help greatly with understanding algorithms. Luckily, it's free as well via Khan Academy!

thanks muir, we've been trying to cut down on the number of stickys (a couple months ago you'd have 5 or 6 to a forum) so i can only keep it sticky'd as long as it's up to date

Student Moderator Team
    Courses | Support | News | About Train2Game | Contact Train2Game
    Enquiry line: 0845 272 8795 | Student Support line: 0845 272 8796

Cheers for the advice muirD. Fortunately I'm doing an OU maths degree as well so already have a good grounding in Calculus so hopefully should be OK.

Thanks for this information Muir, it sounds like a great resource! I should probably utilise these more often! :P

As far as the mathematics goes, I am also studying for a BSc Mathematics with Computing degree, so if any of you are stuck with calculus or any mathematics, I would be more than glad to offer my services in helping you through it! XD

Hi all! You can follow me on Twitter here, or chat to me via the unofficial Train2Game chat-room here, if you so wish!

10. Default

Updated the OP with a few more courses starting in Jan and tidied it up a bit to hopefully make it easier for people to find courses in their areas.