Thread: does a pitch document have to be a certain length ?

Unhappy does a pitch document have to be a certain length ?

hey yeah ive been puzzled about this does it have to be a certain length im positive its something like 3 pages but i could do with some reassurance.

Smile thank you :)

thank you very much matt i just remembered i had this here im pretty forgetful because i dont use these forums much. but im sure going to use them alot now and yeah im on my first portfolio project and im planning on writing more pitch documents as soon as i get this one just right also ive went and wrote 8 pages without artwork put in yet i guess that means i could shorten it down a little and take out anything that looks useless
    Im also stuck on the budget part deos it have to be real prices for the portfolio project ?

If you refer back to the very first Computer Game Designer book you'll have received, Section 1 Part A they've got example documents from pages 112 onwards ranging from a few pages to a single page document, really depends on the depth of the game you're pitching.

One thing I would say from your other post that I've replied to and that would be something that MattB commented on earlier in another post and that is to check your spelling and grammar.

In terms of budget part, being a businessman myself I know estimating on jobs is quite often a hard thing to do, especially if you're relying on other people to do some of the work. How much do the developers want, how much do the musicians want or the artists. If they've quoted per hour, will they really be able to get a project done in 8 hours or would it take them 8 weeks.

Personally, I'm not overly sure how you would actually budget a game unless you know the people you're working with. I believe that other people have defined a budget based on the experience level the people on their team have, with their rough estimates being based on a the timeframe taken by the team in creating a previous project.

Is this particular document you're creating a ficticious one or something that will actually be pitched to a company?

At the moment it is a fictitious one just for the project although one day i may decide to turn it into a more professional one that will be pitched to a company. I apologize for the grammar and spelling errors as well.

Not everyone's English is brilliant. I have an A level in Math's and English but I still make mistakes from time to time (especially when I'm typing with thumbs on an iPhone) so it's nothing to seriously worry about, but if you have the basics of a document put together I'm sure you'd be able to approach someone, whether it be on here or even at home, who could read through and correct spelling and grammar for you.

The main reason for MattB's comment and my repeating it in terms of spelling and grammar is that if you were pitching to a real company, they get hundreds if not thousands of proposals in every week for new game ideas and in order to get yours looked at you need to have something about it's presentation that makes it really stand out, and if the first thing they see on the cover is "MY PRIPOSUL FOR A GAYM" then the first destination for that proposal would be the bin.

I'm not saying that your spelling or grammar is anywhere near as bad as that, I'm just trying to make a point that you're creating this document to impress someone and bad spelling is not the best way to do that.

Actually, to just follow up on your potentially expanding the idea into a full game, I did write an extensive post somewhere else this morning on game ideas, however, if you've got the concept and the designs to back up your game then why not pitch it to the developers on the course and see if anyone can help you turn it into an actual game, if nothing else they could potentially help you to create a kick ass first level which could be used as a demo of the game to use in your presentation documents.

Cool

that would be really really amazing if someone did take up my proposal and create a demo for it once i complete it and check for grammar and spelling issues i may do that. It actually sounds pretty exciting for someone to successfully make a demo from my game idea.
    how would i go about pitching it to a developer on the course ?

If you look around you'll see many people, Nono, Elite, and more all asking for developers, games testers etc.

If you put together a proposal on what you're doing, regardless initially of grammar and spelling, along with any ideas you have in terms of artwork (you can upload images to your albums in your User CP) and see if you get any takers.

i think i may try this ill set out a proposal and see if anyone is willing to try to create a demo for it