Page 1 of 20 1 2345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Challenges 2012/13 - NEW and IMPROVED!

Default Model Challenges 2012/13 - NEW and IMPROVED!

PRIZES to be WON, essential for Portfolio Building !

Hello, and welcome to the second of the modelling challenge series. I just thought I'd say thank you for all those who participated in last years challenges and hope to see more this year and the next!

Here is the rules...PLEASE READ THIS WHOLE TOPIC THROUGH

I will make tutorial videos for all of the beginner challenges as I expect they will need the help there, intermediate and advanced users should already have a good grasp of the fundamentals, if not, feel free to use the tutorials as a guide or for fun.

All of your work must be well presented, please no WIP's in this topic, please post your WIP's in your own work threads, just the FINAL design here, and please no early submissions, I expect submissions at the last week of each month or I will deduct points for rushed work! This means each challenge should be spread over 3-4 weeks and not rushed in the first week. This is a competition for your FOLIO, not just for prizes.!

Each month I will announce 3 challenges, one for Beginner, one for Intermediate and one for Advanced level. Once you have chose your skill level you MUST stick to it or you wont be graded for the challenge properly. So, in order to help you decide, I have pre-decided all of the challenges, although I wont speculate on the limitation and constraints in terms of texture sizes or tri-counts. You will just have to wait for each month for the announcements.

ADJUSTED DEADLINES:

Deadline is Monday the 18th FEB for the December-February Challenge.

Deadline for the February-March Challenge is the 12th of March

Deadline for the March-April Challenge is the 6th of April

Then its back to normal for the remaining challenges

SCOREBOARD:

Here is the list to help you decide:

Beginner:

1) November:

Model a Picture Frame and put your artwork inside of it in a painting style. The frame should be no more than 250 Triangles and can include Diffuse, Spec and Normal maps at a maximum of 1024*1024 Including the artwork.
    The 2D art must be either a scanned in drawing or painting/digital painting which you have produced. Something worthy of presenting in a virtual picture frame.

Tutorial and example video for Beginners For this months Challenge:

part 1
    http://youtu.be/ogugwMig4uc
    part 2
    http://youtu.be/3iAeaZ7JKM4
    part 3
    http://youtu.be/-LLqnK4Z5qo
    part 4
    http://youtu.be/aTPbCpoj2QA

2) December:

Model a Circular Clock : Model any kind of circular clock with a face and the usual things a clock has, this clock must be suitable for an old London Style bar and belongs in the early 1900's, so thats what you will have to look for reference on. Your budget is 1000 tris in total and as many 512*512 textures as you need. Good Luck!

3) February 2013:

Model a Gothic candle and candle holder (1200 tris) (1024 textures)

4) March:

Model an aged picnic bench (any poly count, but be as clever as you can be, any texture size, but keep the UV's clean and tidy, any number of UV's, any number of lights in the final render, show as much detail as you can in the presentation)

5) April:

Model any Pokémon character or Make up your own in the pokémon style (details to follow)

6) May:

Model and Animate a bouncing ball in a one minute animation (tutorials will be supplied, details to follow)

---- Please wait for the start of each month for details and specifications for each challenge ----

Intermediate:

1) November:

Model a Beer Keg made of wood. Design an old western style beer keg as an in game prop with an old and worn wooden texture with Diffuse, Spec and Normal mapping of 512*512 and a tri count of no more than 800 triangles.

2) December:

Model a Chandelier : Model a Victorian black iron chandelier with candles and flames (they can be animated using material or lights, no particle systems for this) The budget is 2500 tris with 512*512 textures.

3) February 2013:

Model a British postbox ( (1200 tris) (1024 textures) Ref: http://gallery.nen.gov.uk/asset78537_818-.html

4) March:

Model a bicycle of your choice (tri limit of 6000 tris, sorry if thats too tight, use clever opacity maos for spokes on the wheels, yes, I want spokes!, clever use of narmal maps for the grip too please!, any number of textures 2048 max)

5) April:

Create a 3D scene containing elements of the 'Angry birds' game (details to follow)

6) May:

Create a professional looking 30 second 3D Logo animation (details to follow)

---- Please wait for the start of each month for details and specifications for each challenge ----

Advanced:

1) November:

Model a Fountain with no more than 3000 triangles with a diffuse, Spec and Normal Map. Any shape of fountain will do but it must be made of stone or rock with a sculptured feel to it. Bonus points will be awarded in this challenge if you can simulate water via the use of imaged plane strips and by animating the UV’s of the water textures.

2) December:

Model an old Red London Phone Booth : Here is your reference: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lo...w=1280&bih=639

Use as many meshes as you need and as many textures as you need and at 1024by1024 each, but make sure you document everything you have done, keep the total tri count less than 8000. This must look as close to the real things as possible. It is your challenge! Make the call!.

3) February 2013:

Model a decorative ceiling Fan (1200 tris) (1024 textures)

4) March:

Model an Old style London Double Decker Bus from the late 70's, find your own reference and create a reference sheet, model it with a max of 10,000 tris and make a low poly version of 50 tris, any texture sizes!! Both must be presented separately.

5) April:

Model any Final Fantasy Character or Monster (details to follow)

6) May:

Model and Animate your own character showing a Walk/Run/Idle or Attack animation. (details to follow)

Make your Choice, and Start modelling, I will expect no submissions until the 20th of November (see rules) and from there I will know what level of skill you have gone for. Please, make it worth while and no early submissions, you can feel free to post WIP''s in your own workthread, but not here, this will save clutter in the topic, please respect my Wishes as I too want to keep organised.

Other details:

The Prizes have yet to be decided and will be worked out near the end of the competition.

If you are stuck with anything, raise a topic in the forum as per usual and I will be happy to answer any queries. You can also PM me if you want.

Please stay clear of the other challenges until I announce the details when its their turn.

The SCORING System:

Presentation (Textures, Model, Statistics and Layout) 20 points
    Skill ( Tri Count Closeness, UV space, Texture size to detail and Normal Map quality) 20 points
    Technique (2D Software, intermediate software, 3D Software, planning/sketching and references) 20 points
    Overall Look ( Realism, Style, Craft, Appeal) 20 points
    Past+Present ( Experience, Involvement in projects, Experimentation, Good Habits) 20 points

Okay, I think that covers everything.

Good Luck, feel free to start now, but again, no rushed work! PM me for any advice on presentation.
    Last edited by RobertRamsay; 02-18-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quick question on the texturing part. are you aloud to use downloaded or taken photos for textures? or are they be done from the bottom up in PS?

I hope your going for the Advance one MrGey.

Got my eye on you, these competition are always like this, survival of the fittest.

Dont know about that lol, havent decided yet. Some of the advanced stuff is a bit.....advanced for me, mainly the character modeling.

This is fantastic, I'm sure a load of the artists are going to really appreciate the time you are putting in to this .

Artists, get involved with this you would be a fool not to!
    Designer @ DR Studios

Ah.. Stickied

Thanks for the interest, just thought I would mention that One of the many prizes will be a Marmoset licence across the board, with the option of something else if you already have marmoset.... My thinking cap is on, and will be for some time ....the prizes will be 3 fold... one for the winner of each level... and that marmoset thingy on top.... Still thinking...

Let the competition commence!!

Will have a go at the advanced, if I have some free time, mad busy at the mo.

Once again mister Ramsay, awsome ideas.

PS....I hate final Fantasy can I model somin else for that point :P haha

Quote Originally Posted by NivareGEE View Post

PS....I hate final Fantasy can I model somin else for that point :P haha
    You'll mostly never be working on a game you actually like in the real world, may as well think the same way outside the job too.

Great work on this mate, can't wait to get started.

I'll give this a go, I'll just have to remember it this time.

Joined Train2game on 15th December 2009 and started the Art and Animation course on the 15th April 2010.