Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123 4567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Model Challenges 2012/13 - NEW and IMPROVED!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyWS View Post
    Made a quick start this evening, not the greatest thing ever but I'm hoping maps will make up for it. I'll do the flowing water plains in UDK if you dont mind, as much as I love doing frame by frame animation materials in Max I'd rather just make one and set a panner on it.
    Please for respect of the rules post your updates (WIP's) in your own workthread until you have completed the challenge. Thanks.

Woops sorry, didn't know D=

Just to clarify have we got to wait until you say we can post them in here? Or do we post them once we have finished them?

Post in the last week of the month, just for clarity (giving you time to do well at each challenge). So, if you are done by the 20th of each month, feel free to post the final piece only, and well presented

Ah ok, no worries.

Awesomes!! i shall get on this
    ~ Excavate Your Soul ~

My Artwork - Digital Album, Sketches, Models So Far (Nothing Special)

Im gonna work on a fountain tonight, get a concept drawn up when I get home, then a box model and a paintover

However, cant do animated water, will have to look into that :P

Quote Originally Posted by NivareGEE View Post
    Im gonna work on a fountain tonight, get a concept drawn up when I get home, then a box model and a paintover

However, cant do animated water, will have to look into that :P
    It's pretty simple, make a square water texture that tiles, apply that onto a square mesh, duplicate that square mesh lots side by side and stitch them up into the shape you want. The either in photoshop you make lots of that image with a small offset (vertical) in each one and put them into a folder and open that folder in max as a texture (like a gif) and it will animate that way, or in something like UDK with jus tthe one image of water you can set it to pan in the material editor (constantly slides over and over on a loop).

if done right the texture when panning/animating will simulate moving water on the meshes and, if you stitched them together and shaped them with a nice flow, it will look like running water.

I did it a few times in My Sea Park on rides like the logflume and various waterfalls. And also did it in the unreal live game jam for derp studios' game to make flowing rivers complete with waterfalls.

You can also pan the diffuse at a different speed to a normal map to simulate some kind of crazy multi layered thing, and you can also do the same with multiple diffuses with alpha blends.
    Last edited by MattyWS; 11-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyWS View Post
    It's pretty simple, make a square water texture that tiles, apply that onto a square mesh, duplicate that square mesh lots side by side and stitch them up into the shape you want. The either in photoshop you make lots of that image with a small offset (vertical) in each one and put them into a folder and open that folder in max as a texture (like a gif) and it will animate that way, or in something like UDK with jus tthe one image of water you can set it to pan in the material editor (constantly slides over and over on a loop).

if done right the texture when panning/animating will simulate moving water on the meshes and, if you stitched them together and shaped them with a nice flow, it will look like running water.

I did it a few times in My Sea Park on rides like the logflume and various waterfalls. And also did it in the unreal live game jam for derp studios' game to make flowing rivers complete with waterfalls.

You can also pan the diffuse at a different speed to a normal map to simulate some kind of crazy multi layered thing, and you can also do the same with multiple diffuses with alpha blends.
    You said it

Chars, I will have to find a tut for it in UDK, think 3DMotive can help.

I am making a fountain in honor of me haha

PS...Im trying to but not much time :P