Thread: [Linux] Source Engine now runs better under Ubuntu than Windows 7

Default [Linux] Source Engine now runs better under Ubuntu than Windows 7

Left 4 Dead 2 is running at 315 FPS on Linux. That the Linux version runs faster than the Windows version (270.6) seems a little counter-intuitive, given the greater amount of time we have spent on the Windows version.
    - http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Maybe the headline's a little premature, but Valve are now announcing that the 32-bit Ubuntu version of Left 4 Dead 2 runs at an average of 315 fps, almost 45 fps faster than even under the 64-bit version of Windows 7. What's more interesting is where they mention that it's partly down to OpenGL. When they switched the Windows version from DirectX to OpenGL, they suddenly got a little over 300 fps under Windows.

Interestingly, in the process of working with hardware vendors we also sped up the OpenGL implementation on Windows. Left 4 Dead 2 is now running at 303.4 FPS with that configuration.
    While many people have been less than charitable about Gabe's reasons for supporting Linux, it is interesting to see Windows' proprietary gaming libraries being out-performed by an open-source project (yep, that's where the 'open' in OpenGL comes from) in a major games development studio. I'm not expecting this to be the start of a mass-switch from DirectX to OpenGL, but you can be sure that a number of developers will be curious about this. OpenGL makes it much easier to port a game to Mac, after all.
    Subject Matter Expert: Games Design and Narrative Theory
    Working on: Steampunk Fiction (i.e. a book)
    How I broke into games design * How I broke into writing for games

YAY for me!! YAY!!

OpenGL and DirectX have their uses though, they differ in some respects,some games may benefit from one, some games from the other.

Honestly, 315FPS/270FPS, Who cares? People generally don't want tearing and turn on V-Sync if they can frame rate cap the game/program, so it's pointless right?