Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Forum Etiquette

Default Forum Etiquette

Thought this might be useful ... read it don't ... who cares.

Forum Etiquette
    Below are a few guidelines for use of Moodle forums. Some definitions you may need:

• Subject: The title of a post
    • Thread: A string of posts, all replies, or replies of replies, to an original post
    • Topic: The subject of the original post that starts a thread - i.e. what the thread is about

Be nice
    • No 'flaming' - in other words, avoid personal attacks, pettiness, abuse. Respect other users, and if you disagree with them, explain why.
    • No 'trolling' - trolls are posts deliberately designed to provoke an angry response. That doesn't mean you can't be controversial, if you really mean it.
    • No personal disputes - if it gets personal, take it offline.
    • Don't be patronising or sarcastic. It comes across about ten times worse online.
    • Avoid typing in ALL CAPS, which is considered shouting or yelling.
    • Learn to let go - don't keep harping on about the same thing, or harking back to previous arguments. It is rarely productive to do so, and you always end up going round in circles.
    • If someone else's post offends you, don't immediately fight back online. Consider whether they really meant to cause offence. It can be easy to sound rude without meaning to, especially if English is not your native language. However, if you really are troubled by the post, don't respond - take it to your moderator instead.

Be effective
    • Post in the most appropriate forum (and only in one forum).
    • Stay on topic - try to focus on the original topic. In particular, don't change subject in the middle of an existing thread - just start a new topic.
    • Conversely, don't start a new topic if your post relates to an existing one - reply to the existing thread instead. Make sure you reply to the appropriate post, not just the last post in the thread
    • When starting a new topic, make the subject line clear and informative. It makes the topic easy to find.
    • Make sure you're understood, even by non-native English speakers. Try to write full sentences, and avoid text-message abbreviations or slang.
    • If asking a question, provide as much information as possible, what you've already considered, where you've already read etc.
    • Read what's already there before posting. You may be repeating what others have already said or asked.

*shrug* ... I wonder if anyone will really bother ... even I have done some of the above once in a while ... just don't make it habit.

And that's the end of the show ... nice knowing you all.

Quote Originally Posted by novogeek View Post
    • Read what's already there before posting. You may be repeating what others have already said or asked.
    How many times has this been done lmao.

Nice post Q.

Sticky maybe?
    Last edited by Musical-Phenix; 10-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I like this thread - something like this should be sent out in all the "Welcome" emails. But until that point Im going to sticky it.

Like you say, not that anyone will read it.. LOL

A "Good Point, Well Made"

Perhaps the Forum Rules need to be revised to be more explicit about some of these points.

yeah you have to admit the rules are prity dam small. Maybe a few things should be added to it..
    Last edited by Musical-Phenix; 10-08-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Don't put yourself down dude, some people listen. LOL

I wonder what brought this on lol

I have to say i think im one of the culprits. I have a fiery temper and when sum1 pisses me of i cant help myself (which i think happened about a week ago lol). But i think it was you who told me to calm down and i am taking your advice. So there, none of that can be directed at me anymore.

This wasn't brought on by anything or anyone in particular.

I just noticed a few people over recent months saying they were new to the forum thing and weren't sure about stuff.

So I thought I would post this up ... it may even help some of the forum veterans as well ... so this is not aimed at anyone in particular but rather all forum members ... current and new ones.

Fully read, understood and duly noted.

This does deserve to be stickified! Maybe even plastered with stickers (and a gold star for Novo)
    Currently playing

PS3 (JKRampage): Black Ops 2 - Diablo III - GTA V -

Currently pre-ordered

Xbox One - MineCraft Xbox One Edition, MGS V: Phantom Pain, Destiny, Fable Legends, Titanfall, The Evil Within, Dying Light