Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: [Blog] Volition designer speaks out against pre-owned game sales

Default [Blog] Volition designer speaks out against pre-owned game sales

Recent rumours suggest that the next generation Xbox console wonít play second hand games at all, and thatís welcomed by Volition Game Designer Jamson Durall.

Find out more here on The Train2Game Blog.

But what are your thoughts on his views on second hand games? Do you understand his concerns as future game developers? Or do you believe that the industry just needs to adapt to second hand sales?

Leave your comments here on The Train2Game Blog, or on the Train2Game forum.

Every store that sells second hand games like Gamestation, GAME, Cex etc would probably take a hit in sales eventually but I also welcome the idea of no more second-hand games. It's already that way on PC anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyWS View Post
    I also welcome the idea of no more second-hand games. It's already that way on PC anyway.
    Actually, you can trade in PC games... GreenManGaming let's you do this... It's just not that common.

To the main point, as a person who buys pre-owned games and trades in games I no longer play. I'm not sure how this will work.

It's all about the money at the end of the day, most people who buy pre-owned either; couldn't afford it at full price or weren't willing to pay full price for the game. (Maybe because of mixed reviews or something like that) Which means if this did happen, those people are either going to buy less games. (because they have to save up to buy them) Or, they will wait until the new game comes down to a price they are willing to pay.

So like I said, I'm not sure if this would actually work in the long run.

To the developers of the game it shouldn't make much difference, when you buy a pre-owned game, they dont get their moneys worth anyway.

I know PC games can be traded in but it's not worth buying hard copies of pre owned games from stores, as it would mean normally that you cant even play online or cant install the game at all if someone else was already using the CD-Key. There are ways round this but it's not worth the effort when you could buy the games brand new.

What happens if you take your game disc to a friends house to play split-screen and they don't have xbox live, so you can't sign in as your name. Does that mean you won't be able to play it?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyWS View Post
    To the developers of the game it shouldn't make much difference, when you buy a pre-owned game, they dont get their moneys worth anyway.

I know PC games can be traded in but it's not worth buying hard copies of pre owned games from stores, as it would mean normally that you cant even play online or cant install the game at all if someone else was already using the CD-Key. There are ways round this but it's not worth the effort when you could buy the games brand new.
    I know what you are saying, but with GreenManGaming you are essentially trading in the key. The key will no longer work for you.

This happened to me I brought Football manager 2012 from CEX and steam wouldent activate it and when I took it back and toldem Steam claimed it was a pirate copy I got banned from their shop.....dam if security wasent tight at the mall....

I don't like it I bought Dead or alive 4 which was a used game thinking I may enjoy it, turns out I didn't and would have wasted £40 instead of £7.

Also some people just cannot afford a brand new game so you buy an used copy, and you have no garuntee on them (unless the store offers it) and it could break you get what you pay for. The shops need to keep their buisness going some how I mean I know the developers need the money but so do the stores taking away used games is like getting rid of potential customers and brand new gamers. Its a selfish thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoWhite View Post
    I know what you are saying, but with GreenManGaming you are essentially trading in the key. The key will no longer work for you.
    Actually I got Need for speed most wanted and when trying to activate it for online it turned out it was used by somebody else (New copy) so I had to email EA and they provided me with another CD-key. Sadly I was unaware they took off the games servers.

I've rounded up some of the views people have expressed on the Train2Game Facebook page, see them here.