Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Indie Game Developers: How not to do it.

Thumbs down Indie Game Developers: How not to do it.

Now typically I wouldn't want to put up an example of how not to do something, but I feel that this may be the opportune moment to do it.

Recently we had a huge discussion about English and why we should bother with being so critical about it, in the end it was generally agreed that it is prudent to check you English when doing documents and other official things.

Well now ... what happens if you let the bad English (or Engrish) creep into your game project.

Spot the mistake and lack of consistency.

Now I know the developer is Korean ... but at least get the basics right ... Google Translate could have taken care of this right away.

So if you want to be taken as a joke ... well then continue to use Engrish ... want to portray yourself as a professional group/organisation ... then use proper English and pay attention to the details.

Just thought this would be nice to share.

Edit: By the way ... the mistake isn't the red box ... that is the developers idea of the current button selected.
    Last edited by novogeek; 09-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.

If people use mobile texting language because they don't know how to spell, what are they going to do when it comes to writing up a pitch document for instance?????

assuming the game isnt played outside asia, to be fair i doubt anyone who sees it will care.

Is that a finished design, or just a start of a game?

I happen to make loads of mistakes in a brief, and I have to look it over a few times before I would say its finished.

I uploaded a game demo, and a few people spotted mistakes.
    I was sure I was going to mess up somewhere and thats why I only called it a demo and not a finished game.

Point I'm trying to make is its ok to slip up a bit on a brief, but if it's ment to be the finished thing then you can't change it after it's in a shops window.

I think thats a good thing to remember at all times. "You can't change it after it's finished, so check it first"

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    assuming the game isnt played outside asia, to be fair i doubt anyone who sees it will care.
    That is where you are mistaken. I happen to know first hand that they are punting this at the English speaking market outside of Asia and they advertised there game on an English website.

Furthermore ... surely the developers should take pride in their work and not just use the attitude of: "Oh well, nobody who picks this up will care!"

Is it just me or if you had to download a free game that was spelt like this ... what will the missions be like, or the briefings, or the conversations ... if this shows its face during the interface, then surely it will crop up in the rest of the game.

Maybe it is just me ... who know ... but all I know is that Indie Developers particularly should check these small details thoroughly ... cos as small as this can be ... this can ruin your reputation ... end of sermon.

Quote Originally Posted by Musical-Phenix View Post
    Is that a finished design, or just a start of a game?
    This happens to be there public beta ... but even so that isn't an excuse. Mistakes happen, but my point is blatant mistakes like that ... they are missing an entire vowel in a word that is awfully difficult to get wrong ... although they seem to have done just that.
    Last edited by novogeek; 09-22-2009 at 09:01 PM.

The point is though, if this was played outside of Asia. Which I believe from reading the post that this came from is the case, it just looks mega unproffesional. If it was just being played in Korea it may as well be kept in Korean.

I'm confused...so the mistake in this case was the missing 'e'?

Quote Originally Posted by FateFirst View Post
    I'm confused...so the mistake in this case was the missing 'e'?
    I believe so.

Also maybe the fact that select tribe appears in both tribe select and player select.
    Oh and equip instead of equipment.

A little harsh and poor example imho. (sorry Q ).

There are still spelling mistakes present in WoW today...I don't think that makes Blizzard a joke

I don't know what this game is but as with most korean ports I would assume its a F2P game?

You can clearly see they can spell Player so the fact they cocked it up only once isn't too bad.

As you said, its a BETA too which from my translations means "a nearly complete prototype of a product". I've played a few big BETAs in my time and found spelling mistakes...I wouldn't call any of those developers etc. a joke though.

That said, most korean ports I've played have generally been F2P and have had poor translations throughout the whole game...in fact most of the games have had chunks still in its native text lol

It's not just that but there are random captial letters in places, and small case where captial should be.

Also phrases like "adding war" and "my guy" aren't very professional are they?