Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Big Phat Tutorial Topic

Default Big Phat Tutorial Topic

Hi there everyone, I am making this topic in aid of developing our skills as one whole unit. In that I mean we post any tutorials made by us students which will help the other students also learn. I have posted this topic here because it may cover many aspects of the course covering all the areas including development,programming, design, art and animation.

Tools: Camtasia 7 , headset with mic is essential, we want to hear your amazing voice!

Format: avi uploaded to vimeo/youtube or other with a direct link or posted using the video link.

Duration: Any duration required to get the tutorial message accross.

Make a good description to what the tutorial is about and what key features students will learn from it, also include any references to which part of the coursework it relates to.

Happy posting.
    Last edited by RobertRamsay; 12-09-2011 at 10:35 AM.

I could go back and re-record some of the Monday Madness lessons for those 2D guys. Let's see what people want, first.

Lets get the ball rolling...

How to make animated gifs from 3ds Max video:

Software used: 3dsMax, Photoshop
    Duration: 7 Minutes
    Key Features: Wireframe rotation rendered from 3ds Max, turned into images and recomposed using Photoshop then saved for web and devices (.gif)

Last edited by RobertRamsay; 12-09-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRamsay View Post
    Lets get the ball rolling...

How to make animated gifs from 3ds Max video:

Software used: 3dsMax, Photoshop
    Duration: 7 Minutes
    Key Features: Wireframe rotation rendered from 3ds Max, turned into images and recomposed using Photoshop then saved for web and devices (.gif)
    Awesome! Will totally be using this method to show of my 3D work in the future.

1 thing i seen a in a tutorial recently is that it showed on the corner of the screen what key the using was pressing.. it taught me a few new things- but i say you should mention as many keyboard shortcuts/window setups as possible to speed up workflow..

Editable poly:-
    1. Vertex
    2. Edge
    3. Border
    4. Polygon

W-Move tool
    E-Rotate tool
    R-Scale and Squash

F-Front
    L-Left
    T-Top
    P-Perspective

M-Material Browser
    X-Transform Gizmo
    Z - Zoom extenets to selected object in all viewports - EDITED IN ON 10/12/11
    Q - Selection Mode - EDITED IN ON 10/12/11
    G-Grid on/off
    J-Boundary Box on/off

These two have helped me speed up a lot..
    -Alt+L - Loop
    -Alt+R - Ring

Alt+X - Xray Selected Object
    Ctrl+X - Expert Mode

F2 - Shaded faces toggle(in polygon mode, sometimes the edges of the selected poly are only red, press F2 and the entire poly is red
    F3 - Wireframe on/off
    F4 - Edged faces on/off
    Of course these are only some of the commands.

You can also hide the side modifier panel, and right click in the active window to access tools such as Chamfer, Extrude, Bevel, Connect.. so on and so forth.
    You can also customize keyboard shortcuts and create some of your own in preferences. I will learn more of the layout and make a video on this perhaps in the future.. With this its alot easier to pickup!
    Last edited by D_NE; 12-10-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: More shortcuts added

ADD ME UP - STEAM:djd_ne

Nice shortcuts... I have Q and Z to add to that, Q is for selection mode, and Z zoom-extents into the currently selected object for all views.

Anyone got Unity tutorials, like making a controllable 1st person (camera) WASD controlled, and also uploading to view in the web, I saw Mr Ninjitsu do this...would be a great thing to know how to do.

Well uploading to web means covering various ways- using the different angles for pictures- rendering pictures with both matterial, wireframes, uvw maps and bump maps.. It also means covering videos for youtube/.gif uploading..

Ahh i use Z alot.. Forgot about that one, but q ill use some more..

Quote Originally Posted by D_NE View Post
    Well uploading to web means covering various ways- using the different angles for pictures- rendering pictures with both matterial, wireframes, uvw maps and bump maps.. It also means covering videos for youtube/.gif uploading..

Ahh i use Z alot.. Forgot about that one, but q ill use some more..
    I assigned A as my shortcut for the Arc Rotate gizmo (perspectiove view), this means i dont have to use that silly cube at the top right which never rotates around selected objects correctly. to come off arc rotate i just press Q, works a treat!

I cuse Ctrl+G for my object propietes on on the right hand side.. i use right click as much as poss.

Amazing work from my buddy from Gnomon, Bruce Buechner. This is an 8 part video!

Software: Maya, Headus UVlayout, Zbrush, UDK, Xnormal (download for free) http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx

Duration: about 4 hours, all in 8 parts now.
    Description: Modelling a Hydrant prop from start to finish.

Enjoy!

Last edited by RobertRamsay; 12-18-2011 at 02:43 PM.