PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 9 Missing external files

Esski
04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Hey people, I'm currently on lesson 9 organic modelling. I opened Concept_art_girl.max & saved the file to my hard drive under a new incremental name. I started modelling the leg yesterday & saved. Opened the file today & a dialogue appears "Missing external files" showing that the files for the planes (front/left) are missing & also a camera filter (glare streaks star). I tried adding the files through the "Configure External File Paths" but nothing seems to happen.
Any help would be greatly appreciated =D

Chris88
04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Have you got the files from the T2G course cd (texture maps ect...) saved to your hard drive?

Esski
04-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I copied them to the maps folder in program files/autodesk etc.

Chris88
04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Hmm, I had trouble with this myself. It seemed to sort itself out when I copied the files to the 'scenes' folder, I have a train2game folder inside where i organise my coursework and i literally just plonked it in with the scene i was working on. This is most probably bad practise but give it a go.

Jamesypuds
04-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Ive had the same problem... and still cant solve it unless I copy the materials into the same folder that I'm saving the girl model, For example Folder: Assignment 14 il save the girl model and the materials used and again in Assignment 16 foilder... if this makes sense.. So I copy and paste alot =D

Esski
04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I just copied the files to the Scenes folder like ya said & it has actually sorted it out. =]
So this is the process you have to take?

JamieRIOT
04-19-2011, 09:47 PM
If you have used particular files (eg: image to use on a plane) in a 3ds Max project and in between sessions working on it you move a file used in the project to a different folder, that will cause the 'missing external files' dialogue to pop up when you next open up 3ds Max; you will then need to locate it's new location and double click on the right file. Either that or move the file(s) back to where they were moved from. Think of it a bit like iTunes, where you move music into a different folder and when you try to play it a little {!} pops up next to it.
I know this is a little wordy, but if you can make sense of it i hope it can help you :)

Esski
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks people, very helpful comments =D