PDA

View Full Version : Assignment 11 trouble

WorserGeorge
03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
This is the assignment,

We've looked (in the 3D sections) at how to lay out UV;s, and also how to manipulate and create image sin Photoshop. Take the props you made earlier and see if you can create appropriate texture maps yourself. You will need a mix of tiling and non-tiling textures; see what you can come up with and try to keep the overall look.style the same.
Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------

Ever since I got my new PC and starting doing this god damn course I can't seem to do ANYTHING! grrrr

Right, well ive got a picture, but im having trouble selecting a bit and then turning it into a texture is there any tuts anyone knows?

swamps
03-09-2011, 05:57 PM
what part are you having problems with ??

WorserGeorge
03-09-2011, 06:22 PM
When I select the section i want to tile how do i turn that section into a new image so i can tile it?

Jay Zaine
03-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I assume you mean you want to take part of an image and save that part as a file in itself right?
Also assuming you are using Photoshop (although it would be the same in most image editing programs) there as a few different ways.
1: You can marquee the part of the image you want then select Edit - Copy from the menu bar. Open a new document (if using PS it will automatically scale your new doc to the size of whats in your clipboard IE your cutout). Goto Edit - Paste then File - Save As and select your format (JPEG)
2: Select the area you want with the Crop tool. Crop your image. File - Save As.

Once you have that you can apply it to your model in 3DSmax by assigning it to your Diffuse map element in your Materials browser and applying the material to the model. This is just a general idea though, the devil is in the detail :P
Also your texture will unlikely be "tileable" straight from the cut tho - not without nasty edges. This takes a little bit of work unless its already of a repeating texture (and even then..) but there are programs that will do it for you and tuts on how to make an image tileable.
Just Google it :P

On a side note - I think this part of the course specifically asks to much of a new student. I was well into the 3rd book before I even attempted this as it was WELL outside my knowledge by that point in the course so dont worry if you feel u want to leave it and come back to it once you feel more comfortable with 3DS and PS. That's what I did :D

skinnyjabba
03-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Sorry WorserGeorge I have no words of wisdom as I'm currently trying to get my head around this Assignment.

Jay Zaine your advice sounds good I think I will carry on to the next step and hopefully it will become a bit more clearer so I can go back to it :)