PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle wheel arch.

Esski
03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Hey all, I'm having trouble creating wheel arches for this model.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Heretic
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
From: http://forum.train2game.com/showthread.php/7393-Question-Assignment-05-Creating-a-Car-from-Box-primitives/page2

Ok, so I solved the issue using what we have learned so far, and I've put the screenshots in an attachment to this post so I can talk you through it.

1: This is the model of my car, with the placeholder wheels Detach'd and hidden via the layer manager. The model has been cut in half down the center line, and I'll Mirror and vertice weld it back together when finished (this makes working a lot easier and with fewer mistakes).

2: I Start creating some geometry for the wheel arch by connecting vertices to form edges.

3: I connect together the new edges I have formed (by selecting the new edges and the edge in-between them), in this case I put number as "3" into the Connect modifier so that I have enough geometry to have a fairly smooth wheel arch, while keeping things in quads, I then connected some vertices and now it's ready for vertice manipulation.

4:I manually select and move each vertice in the wheel arch to form the wheel arch, this is made easier by unhiding the Wheels I detached earlier, to give me a good idea of the shape I need.

5: I select the polygons that will be the wheel well, I Insert them a little (2cm), then I select only the polygons that make up the side face of the wheel well (so I deselect the bottom polys) and Move them 30cm or so into the body of the car. Problem solved 8)

I repeat the processes for the rear wheel and then Select the entire mesh, hit the Mirror button, Attach the mirror copy to the original and vertice weld the whole thing (0.01cm weld on all verts should do the trick) to sticth the whole model back together again.

This is the solution I found, but there's other ideas for solving the problem in that thread, hope this helps. The 1st attachment is the pics that go with each of the stages above, the 2nd is the car with placeholder wheels and no wheel arch (so the 1st attachment makes more sense). The 3rd Attachment is what everything looks like after the wheel arches have been finished (I'm quite happy that this is enough detail to fufil the "Sums-Like" brief for the model).

Esski
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks Heretic.
That's a really clear explanation =D

Heretic
03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
You're welcome Esski, let us know how it works out.