PDA

View Full Version : Why is it doing this?!

WorserGeorge
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I havn't used 3D max for like 7 weeks now and I don't know why its doing this, I probably should.....

I don't want it to look like this....

http://i.imgur.com/Y01ev.png

I want it to look like this. I converted it to an editible polly for it to look like this, but as soon as i click off it, it goes back to the first image....

http://i.imgur.com/bYcRr.png

I'm most likely being really stupid... :doh:

petedon
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi there worsergeorge i'm not really sure what you are asking a bit more imformation would help. Do you mean why is the left viewport taking up the whole screen ? If you press Alt and w it mini and max's that view port, sry if it's not that but i didn't really understand your question.

WorserGeorge
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
if you look at the sphere's, the wireframes are diffrent... how can i make it look like the bottom pic, am I doing something wrong?

petedon
03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Ok the top pic is of a Geosphere and your bottom pic is of a sphere. If you look at your at your primitive shape's there's sphere on the left and then geosphere on the right. you said you want the sphere so just click on sphere, i think maybe you have clicked on geosphere by mistake

AnthonyHJ
03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Actually, I think the bottom image is showing the sphere's faces and the top is showing the same sphere as triangles. It has to convert the faces to triangles to let you edit the vertices, otherwise you would have all sorts of strange effects.

Unless I miss my guess, I think you'd need to change Maya's entire understanding of 3D geometry to stop it using triangles to draw editable polygons.

petedon
03-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Sry if i mislead you george i'm a newbiee also just trying to help ^^

WorserGeorge
03-03-2011, 10:37 AM
petedon, never be sorry for trying to help bro. :)

So are you saying when I create something they should be in triangles and not in quads? because I swear when I first started it wasn't like that.....

AnthonyHJ
03-03-2011, 11:11 AM
So are you saying when I create something they should be in triangles and not in quads? because I swear when I first started it wasn't like that.....

No, I am just saying that vertex editing needs to be done on triangles.

The shape never changed, by the way. Your sphere still has all the faces and edges where they were before. The difference is that you can now see a line attaching opposite corners of all the quads. The reason why there are so many crosses is that the bottom set of polygons (seen from above) go the other way across. These show where the faces will 'fold' if you move the vertices.

An artist can probably explain it better than me; I'm just a (slightly) gifted amateur when it comes to 3D art...

TheGeneralRed
03-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Just as an observation, it looks like you've subdivided it as there are connections between both/all corners of a poly. Where ive only seen the connections go one way (2 tri's per poly) but you say you've created it then converted it (to Ed poly) :s without modifiers in the stack? Very interesting XD

WorserGeorge
03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I think ive confused everyone XD including my self here ha

The first image is not an ed polly, the second image is what happens as soon as I turn it into a ed polly but if i click off the sphere it goes back to normal (first image)

AnthonyHJ
03-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Just as an observation, it looks like you've subdivided it as there are connections between both/all corners of a poly. Where ive only seen the connections go one way (2 tri's per poly) but you say you've created it then converted it (to Ed poly) :s without modifiers in the stack? Very interesting XD

No, that's just an illusion caused by seeing two sets of overlapping triangles. The top half go one way and the bottom half go the other way, so they cross over and look like an X. i.e. the top ones might be / and the bottom ones \ will give you X...

WorserGeorge
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
So are the "\" and "/" supposed to be there as soon as I create an object?

CheekyChace
03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Check your settings for the video display. More than likely you have the option checked that shows triangle strips. You can change this under: Preferences: Viewports : Configure driver (button on bottom right)
you may also need to turn off (Use Wireframe faces) and also turn off (Use Triangle strips)
I hope this helps :)

WorserGeorge
03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
ive stopped using Direct x and everythings back to normal....

MartinMartinez
03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
It doesn't require to remove direct x try the other method...!!!

WorserGeorge
03-07-2011, 06:33 AM
I did, every time i clicked turn off triangle trips and then clicked ok nothing would happen and when I went back to see if it was still turned off it would turn it self back on again?? :S

It's ok now... is there a problem with not using DirectX?