PDA

View Full Version : Bending a bar at two ends

Stuart
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi to all,

Does anyone know how I can bend a bar/cylinder at both ends? (Have attached an image to show what I mean).
I have tried using the bend modifier but it seems quite limited.
There must be a simple way of doing it. Please help? :eek:

Smoothnshiny
01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Try messing around with the bend modifier.

Stuart
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey...

As mentioned, I did have a pretty good go at the bend modifier. I even tried reducing the size of the gizmo and moving it to the area where the bend needs to be then the whole cylinder contorts out of shape (as it did when playing around with it other ways).
Surely there must be more than one way to do this other than the bend modifier. And if it is only the bend modifier that does it, how? :)

Thanks in advance

Rico3k
01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Make each side of the bar separate and apply a separate bend modifier to each.

Stuart
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Ah yea, there's a possibility...thanks :)

Just outa curiosity...I originally spent most of my early 3d creating days with Cinema 4D and it had an amazing modifier called Sweep Nurbs. This allowed you to create a spline in the shape of the bar you wanted, add the radius of bar and you'd get the bar with bends at each end. Does anyone know if there's anything like this in 3D Max?

Smoothnshiny
01-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey...

As mentioned, I did have a pretty good go at the bend modifier. I even tried reducing the size of the gizmo and moving it to the area where the bend needs to be then the whole cylinder contorts out of shape (as it did when playing around with it other ways).
Surely there must be more than one way to do this other than the bend modifier. And if it is only the bend modifier that does it, how? :)

Thanks in advance

Sorry mate, I didn't see the bit about you already trying that *embarrassed*

But, yeah... what rico suggested.

EDIT: I think the loft modifier might do what you mentioned. have a checkout of some tutorials to see how it works. There is definitely a modifier that does that.

Stuart
01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
No worries :)

Thanks for the advice about the Loft. I had a good look but couldn't find anything to do with that, though I did find a modifier called Sweep which does pretty much what I wanted.

bhmediamarty
01-18-2011, 09:05 PM
From my somewhat frazzled memory, i believe to use the loft, create a line in the shape you want, then create a circle shape, apply the loft to the line you've created, select "pick shape" or whatever the option is (something similar if it isn't that) then pick the circle and it should convert the two lines into a solid shape as per your photo.

Smoothnshiny
01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
From my somewhat frazzled memory, i believe to use the loft, create a line in the shape you want, then create a circle shape, apply the loft to the line you've created, select "pick shape" or whatever the option is (something similar if it isn't that) then pick the circle and it should convert the two lines into a solid shape as per your photo.

That's the one :)

Stuart
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Ahhh...I was having trouble finding Loft because I thought it was a modifier but it's actually a Compound Object :)
For what I wanted to do both the Sweep Modifier and the Loft Compound Object work exactly the same.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

bhmediamarty
01-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Ahhh...I was having trouble finding Loft because I thought it was a modifier but it's actually a Compound Object :)
For what I wanted to do both the Sweep Modifier and the Loft Compound Object work exactly the same.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well, Sweep, Loft, whichever, totally forgot to mention that it was a compound object, which can at times cause confusion if you're looking for how to get something to work and are looking at the modifier stack for answers. Pleased you got it sorted though :)