PDA

View Full Version : Can you use Maya instead 3DMax?

FauxPretense
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
As someelse has the same problem as me. 3DMax outright won't work, it won't start up at all. Vista keeps saying its crashed before its even loads up.

Now I've tried restarting my laptop, reinstalled it to no avail but since it stopped working on the same day numerous other things stopped working can I use Maya as substitute until I can fix it?

Specs are:

Make; Acer Aspire 5920G

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7300 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz

Memory: 2.00 GB

~~~
EDITED 24/01

Now Fixed; The problem was Vista as it breaking so we installed Windows 7 on it and 3ds Max is working now.

Lets add reinstalling your OS to list of ways to get 3Ds Max to work

Nova
01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Although im not on the artists course, the course uses 3dmax so you wouldnt be learning much without it, on that basis i would say no.

However i would ask you if you have a lot of proccesses running on your pc, software like 3dmax uses up lots of resources and since you only have 2gb of ram that may be a factor as to why its not working, i had a freind who brought a pc round to me just the other day because she said it wouldnt boot up properly, i simply checked the programs using the CPU at the time and found it was wanting to use more RAM than it had, simple spring clean sorted it no problem.

Might not be that but if its not giving you any clue as to why its crashing then it would be my first port of call.

FauxPretense
01-13-2011, 07:36 PM
ah okay then. Well I've tried what you suggested and its still doesn't work. I'll have a another go at reinstalling again.

yaustar
01-13-2011, 07:43 PM
It can be any number of things. Even video drivers, did you update recently? Can try contacting Autodesk for support. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/3DS-MAX-2010-CRASHES-ON-STARTUP/m-p/2700103

Excalibur
01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Although Maya and 3ds look and act similarly I would recommend against using it as a substitute. You will find that you will learn habits in Maya that Max can't handle. also things like navigation and layout are different.
However, I would contact your tutors and let them know about your situation and see what they recommend.
I used to use Maya until I started the course, Excellent program but more based towards the "movie" side of entertainment.

Hope this is helpful and that you can get this problem sorted soon. :D

skinnyjabba
01-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi FauxPretense
I had the same problem last month unable to load 3ds max at all and other programs playing up. Maya loaded up fine but i didnt use it though, When un-installing max make sure you removing the document license file in your documents folder. I hope you have saved your work to a portable device, CD, phone, as i had not and lost all my previous work :( Hope you get it sorted soon :)

FauxPretense
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Thankyou Skinny. The problem is fixed now my OS was starting to break to the point that it was causing bluescreens on the login page so we installed Windows 7 on it which wiped the C: drive of everything and 3ds Max works now thankfully i can continue with the course and get on to section 2. Yeah I maded sure that my work was back-up on my D: drive which went untouch during the installation and seperate memory stick.

Leiland
01-24-2011, 05:41 PM
well aren't Maya and 3Ds Max from same develoipers?if so they should have a bridge between each Developing softwares and it's extansion's isn't? Well good for you it is fixed.

yaustar
01-25-2011, 02:45 AM
Yeah, both by Jagex
Don't you mean Autodesk?

modeller x tron
01-29-2011, 07:00 PM
mate i know what your problem is and thats vista. it requires autodesk update patch 2. and as what previous comment said its not your 2gb memory as when i used my friends computer for a month that is all he had and i was modeling kitchen scenes witch took 2 days to render 1 frame.

spudnick
02-04-2011, 12:33 AM
hi ya, just thought i would say hi as i live in swindon too.

as for vista, it is a poor system, always updating and causing headache with memory consumable programs like 3d max, but by installing win7 your system will have a lot of HWQ generic drivers, and thats why 3d max is working.
with vista on the other hand is the same core as win 7 but with a few less theme tweeks and when the upfates come along for service pack 3, Wow loads of sofware stops working, and hence the patching is required, what a pain, so i suggest get your software patches after installing service packs on vista :tiphat: