PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Laptop as my partner is giving me ear ache

CheekyChace
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Looking for a Laptop as my partner is giving me ear ache about the desk top being in the living room.

OK, I need a laptop to run and not crash on all the Animation software.
I was looking at the Apple Mac Pro? what do you think or do you think another brand would be best?
money is not a problem because I ain't paying for it :) whoop

PS I'm an artist not an IT tech, so small words in English would be great lol :) :) :)

bhmediamarty
11-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Although I'd agree with points 1, 2 and 4, point 3 isn't necessarily true as a friend of mine has a mac that runs a lot of windows apps a lot faster than my PC.

However, indeed, the Autodesk suite is primarily PC and although you can run it in windows or parallels, you're paying extra for a mac platform to run non mac software so it is a bit of a wasted effort.

Other than that, MattB's other recommendations are pretty sound. If you find a decent sounding laptop, do a google search for reviews on it as quite often you can find a lot of fairly helpful reviews that also list comparable systems to the one you'd found.

Vampire Duck
11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Although I did read a great quote saying that owning a Mac is the best way to allow a wesstern white adult middle class male to act like a persecuted minority, so it's not all bad.

CheekyChace
11-10-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks for the replies I have been looking at all the other threads about laptop specs but I'm confused on this ((((((an actual separate graphics chipset (not 'on-board')))))) OK is this like an external hard drive you plug it in and it works???

bhmediamarty
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM
thanks for the replies I have been looking at all the other threads about laptop specs but I'm confused on this ((((((an actual separate graphics chipset (not 'on-board')))))) OK is this like an external hard drive you plug it in and it works???

LOL, no, it's a dedicated graphics card in the laptop. When you buy a PC tower or laptop there are a lot that come with "on board" graphics, which means it's a very cut down chipset and it uses some of the system memory to power it,so if you had say for example 512mb ram and the graphics card was using 64mb of it then you'd only have 448mb ram for apps and system (obv laptops these days tend to have more memory).

MyKitten'saNinja
11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
As MattB said get a laptop with as much RAM as you can muster, as big a screen as you can manage, at least a dual core processor and a seperate graphics card installed with 1GB RAM if you can. On board means things are built into the motherboard but this won't cope with what you want to do.

Topodude
11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I know Currys and Argos are having an offer on laptops at the moment, but they tend not to have the separate graphics cards, then there are the after Christmas sales if you can wait.

CheekyChace
11-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys, since MattB mentioned Alienware, I was curious to see what it was and now I'm in love XXXX wish I had 3000 :( I am looking into having one custom built with all of your suggestions. thanks for your Help :) :) :)

Vampire Duck
11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys, since MattB mentioned Alienware, I was curious to see what it was and now I'm in love XXXX wish I had 3000 :( I am looking into having one custom built with all of your suggestions. thanks for your Help :) :) :)
Alienware look nice and are powerful, but they don't seem to have a record for long term reliability.

CheekyChace
11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Correction I am not looking into having an Alienware built, I don't have that kinda cash, "sighs" what I meant was I am looking into having a Lap top custom built. I know some one who knows someone lol :)

Liz
11-14-2010, 01:09 PM
I love my iMac is a beautiful looking machine all the "guts" are in the monitor and once you get over the transition from windows to mac its just so much more "streamlined" to use.
Never had a virus ( had one a month on my windows PCs)

That said, the software issue is a ***** for sure. The majority of software developers are clearly going to cater to the market majority and mac users are still in a minority (but I don't think for very long) and trust me trying to run max on a mac via middle ware is no fun.

Also there is a learning curve too, I hated the UI for mac for weeks it was alien to me and the money I had to spend on getting mac versions of software I already owned for windows was not something I had taken into consideration.

So, if windows is your flavour now, don't change it and stick to a windows OS

Tis only my opinion :P

JamieRIOT
11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Dell are middlerange and not too expensive! :) http://www.dell.com