PDA

View Full Version : How do I delete Edges ?

Liz
10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
I am just in practice atm, with the "make a car" part of the course and this (i doubt) will be the finished result, I am really just learning by "trial and error"

However, I have come across an issue that I can't seem to suss out.

On the screeny below you will see a red line.

With cutting, I have created too many edges and its messing up the symmetry

How can I select the edge and delete it without deleting the whole polygon?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/ElizaRose/CarHelp.jpg

Many thanks in advance

CheekyChace
10-25-2010, 04:46 PM
select the edge that you wish to delete and hit backspace. then select vertex cos you will have some vertices left behind and do the same :) P's looking good Liz :)

Ashitaka
10-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi Liz,

I'm hoping its like blender in which you should have 3 seperate selection methods. Vectors, edges and faces, find that option and select the edge and delete it, your not going to be able to get around the fact you might loose the face but by the looks of it you should be able to clean it up and create a new face from the three corner vectors that make up the front right of the bonnet.

Liz
10-25-2010, 04:57 PM
okies, thanks i'll try that.. had enough for today my head hurts. :)

MyKitten'saNinja
10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
use target weld to weld the four vertices together in the right place. matching the left vertex to the left unwanted vertex and the right one to the right

Creative
10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Hello just signed up to this website. To delete an edge press Ctrl and Backspace and doesnt delete anything else :D If you have more than one edge selected (a loop) so you have verts selected as well its the same buttons to delete and deletes both the edge and verts without any polgons being deleted :)

Liz
11-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Sorry for the late reply... think its called Necro Posting ( I learnt that a few months ago!)

Thanks, yes it's something I find I am doing a lot of now! Many thanks for the replies Chase and Creative

Liz
11-06-2010, 12:34 PM
use target weld to weld the four vertices together in the right place. matching the left vertex to the left unwanted vertex and the right one to the right

whoa! I aint that progressed yet! lol

Liz
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
i was struggling with the car and this has inspired me. the way you build something helps so much to adding all the detailed bits. nice one.

Hiya eight,

Yea, it's a ***** but there's tons of posts about this part of the course and the bottom line is try not to get bogged down in perfection, the exercise is the point not the end product!

bhmediamarty
12-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Out of curiosity, how did this project end up once you started getting the hang of it?

Liz
12-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Out of curiosity, how did this project end up once you started getting the hang of it?

Who? me?

Erm, it ended up looking like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/ElizaRose/car4.jpg

Donut wheels and a ton of seam glitches and botched puckered up angles totally unnecessary "parts" so I called it a day hoping to never ever have to return to it further on in the course because I would simply have to start again, I basically gave up.
I wanted to add doors and windows and headlights etc but me and Max's relationship wasn't in a good place so I ran back to Adobe, tail between my legs :D

bhmediamarty
12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Lol at doughnuts. You could have used cylinders instead of torus for a flatter wheel but still, it's all part of the learning process.

Liz
12-31-2010, 04:43 PM

HOLY CRAP! That is SO weird!

For about 2/3 weeks I have been responding to you in the forums assuming you were new because I always go off looks (avatars, peoples faces etc) over names ( I can never remember fictitious names in games and forums and I couldn't even pronounce yours in my head!) You used to have that really cute animated avatar and I warmed to you "because" of that avatar.

How funny, how a forum avatar can define a persons opinion by other people, fascinating!

It's like I have been "chatting" to you but didn't recognise you until just now!
Thats really freaked me out!

BTW LOVE that game in your sig mate, very well executed and professionally put together game indeed. I would of said so sooner had I been addressing the cute animated avatar LOL