PDA

View Full Version : Flatbed Scanners...

Shugs81
09-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Ola chaps....

I was wondering what sort of dpi i should be looking at for a flatbed scanner?

I'm aiming to scan drawn elements, but not 100% sure what sort of quality to go for.... may even be looking for an A3 scanner...

I'm trying to avoid the multi function machines because in the future I know I want a colour laser printer in the future...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

MyKitten'saNinja
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
when using scanned images for texture creation for games you don't want too much information, a standard modern flatbed scanner will do the job. if you want to draw directly to your pc spend the money on a higher range graphics tablet

CreateNPlay
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
I've got a Epson All in 1 SX205 and it scans at crazy dpi and it was like 40 sooo get one

Shugs81
09-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I was aiming to use paper as the basic creation process then scan and overlay in photoshop to develop it from there... chances are i'll probably end up being better at physicaly better at drawing on the pc rather than on paper!! lol...

bhmediamarty
09-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Realistically it depends on what you're wanting to use a scanner for.

If you're wanting to scan in a sketch to trace over then anything from 300dpi would do. If you're wanting to scan images for textures or photos then as high a dpi as possible. I have 4 scanners ranging from 600dpi to 3048dpi and from A4 to A3 in size but tend to use the quicker ones at lower resolutions more often.

Even cheap flatbed scanners these days reckon that they scan at high resolutions but the biggest difference between the 40 one that scans at 2400dpi and the 400 that scans at 2400dpi is the actual size of the scanner array and the way in which they scan. The cheaper ones tend to interpolate a lower resolution scan of say 1200dpi (or even 600dpi) and scale everything up to 2400dpi, which would be the same as taking a 600dpi or 1200dpi image in photoshop and scaling it up to 2400dpi.