PDA

View Full Version : [Request] Sprites and Level Design

DrDeth
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
If anyone is interested in creating some sprites and levels for a 2D platform game, please let me know. I currently have a project under way that is in serious need of consistent artistic style.

As always... :rolleyes:

Entertainer
07-15-2009, 02:18 AM
[...]I currently have a project under way[...]

Don't we all!?

...Good luck with your request ;)

DrDeth
07-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Hey, 'Tainer... you've been awefully quiet lately. Thanks, but I dont think anyone's interested. I'll have to take some time away from code and produce some scrawls to use as placeholders.

Dan Newrick
07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Im still waiting for your dimensions for this "world" you want to create!

And as soon as ive got the hang of Paint.Net ill deffonately be interested in helping you with this project aswell ;)

DrDeth
07-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Dan, I posted my source in the original thread for you to download. It fully documents the room and item files for you to go wild!

Dan Newrick
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Found, stolen and im already working on it, thanks again for the opertunity :D

CrystalShadow
07-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Lol. I think we're kind of short-handed when it comes to artists here.

I have created sprites by hand in the past (as well as 3d rendered ones), but it's a very time-consuming process...

You spend hours upon hours fiddling with individual pixels. XD.

But if you want to have a go at it, and can draw normal pictures, a good starting point is graph paper.

Draw a picture on graph paper, then fill in the squares and you have a good beginning of a sprite. (as long as you keep in mind your intended size that is.)

A single pixel can make a big difference in a sprite, though this depends on how large it is.
Nes era sprites were often 8 by 8 pixels...

A typical character (such as mario or link or the final fantasy characters) on the SNes were 16 by 24 pixels, taking the largest frames... XD
(then again, the screen resolution used was round about 320 by 200)

Dan Newrick
07-16-2009, 01:05 AM
I haven't got to Sprite work yet, but i know all about pixel work...

Try removing a few water marks! Thats always fun ;)

gnipper
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Id LOVE to find an artist who can work on all my projects - art is something im terrible (and i mean TERRIBLE) at.. WE NEED ARTISTS :)

BTW - its a bit rubbish, but I found a program called 2d sprite creator - it basically allows you to "build" a sprite from pre-drawn parts, and then it creates a tilemap for you based on that initial design (so like, left, right, jump, run etc.) - not AMAZING quality but easily sufficient as placeholders :)

novogeek
07-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I use SpriteWorks from Envy Games.

http://www.envygames.com/content/?page_id=65

It supports most standard models, but the added bonus is that it supports Torque DTS models and natively works for Torque Game Builder.

They have a tool for Fonts as well ... very good. :)

DrDeth
07-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I have created sprites by hand in the past (as well as 3d rendered ones), but it's a very time-consuming process...

Exactly. And time is a hard commodity for me to come by these days. :(

thomas
07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
If anyone wants any artistry done, PM me.

Im competent with several art applications already and ready to go.