PDA

View Full Version : [Books] Useful Reading Material

Entertainer
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm a big fan of self tutoring and those who choose to study open source material, though I'm not too sure if this is the right platform to post under, I would like to share with you some excellent reading material which has helped me a great deal in discovering the basics of hardware/software integration and techniques.

If you are poor (like me) and find yourself struggling to comprehend the low level aspects of game development, but wish to learn by yourself instead of paying out for a decent education, then I suggest you seriously consider purchasing these beneficial books...
I am in no way compromising the intelligence from which you will obtain by taking a T2G course, as I am merely offering an alternative path to self education.

So, without further ado I give to you my top five greatest game development books of all time...

Black Art of 3D Game Programming - André LaMothe
Modern C++ Design - Andrei Alexandrescu
Design Patterns - Gamma et al.
The Art of Assembly Language Programming - Randal Hyde
The C++ Programming Language - Bjarne Stroustrup

I'll admit I've no formal qualifications, including GCSE's, as I left school at age 13.
Although, through personal motivation and self education I am confident enough that I can get down and dirty at low level code and manipulate/modify most game data at which most developers will not need to access considering the engines which are most commonly used to create such imaginative releases...

Through self teaching I am now able to comprehend:

D3D/OpenGL
C#/C++
ASM

Saying that, I am still actively seeking training courses that are set out with a well thought out curriculum and structure standardized by the developers and tutors here at T2G.
These beneficial reading material will only help serve as boosters in which to further and enhance your skill in the gaming industry.

Thank you for reading :)

gnipper
04-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Have ordered the Black arts book and one of the others.

Good work!

JaredC
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Quite the inspiration mate, really well done.

I'll be sure to take a look at these books, they seem to offer quite a bit!

Jared.

FateFirst
04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Good stuff. I've heard/seen the Black Arts book so decided to jump in and get it also.

A book I recommend (that I've read twice and also used a bit as a refence) is:

Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition - Michael Dawson

Packaged up with Dev-C++ IDE (although I never used it).

Basically each chapter has several topics and as you move through them you end up writing small game-related progams to demonstrate each idea then at the end of each chapter pull in the key elements to write a small single game.

Naturally at the final chapter you pull in all the key topics to write a larger scale game.

This is all about the game-related concepts/code though so don't expect to be using any Engines in this book. You'll simply be using your IDE & console window ;)

gnipper
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Hoping my books arrive today.

Cant wait to get stuck into them.

I didnt think I could be this excited about the prospect of actual work. LOL

FateFirst
04-29-2009, 08:55 AM
HAHAHA same here! (its like christmas when I was kid)

Thought I heard the postman outside so quickly made my way to the door expecting it to drop through but it wasn't even him. :(

The wife probably thinks im acting like a kid :D

haha

Entertainer
04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm glad some of you have decided to get these awesome books, and as always, if you need help relating to any of my topics or subject matter, please do not hesitate to ask.

Performer
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Im going to be getting some to :) they look good.

gnipper
05-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Still waiting for my books to arrive. Gah. Hope they come today - a big long bank holiday weekend for reading ahead :)

That will teach me for buying from Amazon Marketplace!

FateFirst
05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
haha same here!

I didn't wanna spend £40+ on a brand new one :P

gnipper
05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Got my big biffing bible that is the Black art book today. Its a monster LOL.

Looks like it was published a while back - so the tech is probably out of date, but the principals look relevant :)

Happy days.

FateFirst
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
/jealous

Well I'm all done and signed up. Got all my intro material....just need to finish work and I can make a start...

..oh wait...I have kids/wife to see after work...oops! :P

gnipper
05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
/jealous

Well I'm all done and signed up. Got all my intro material....just need to finish work and I can make a start...

..oh wait...I have kids/wife to see after work...oops! :P

LOL welcome to my world.

Im quite lucky in so much as I have at least 2 days a week where the wife works an evening so I can get work done... Of course, there is the little lad.. but he is usually in bed for 7 :)

Entertainer
05-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Still waiting for my books to arrive. Gah... That will teach me for buying from Amazon Marketplace!

lol I totally agree with that edited statement! Amazon do onto 'on-time delivery' as novice programmers are onto 'commenting' their code... f**k s**t up!

gnipper
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Woohoo - my other book has arrived now. Hardback one - very posh :)

thomas
02-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I bought 'Getting started with Game Maker by Jerry Lee Ford Jr.' which is helping me a great deal (and is only about £15 through Amazon).

I ordered 'Blender for dummies' today, i will let you know if its any good.

SiliconShadow
02-15-2010, 04:12 PM
The black art was published way back when I was in college and we all bought it then like crazed maniacs trying to get the next big thing, and you know what I still read it from time to time.

Other books you may be interested in which may not seem like obvious buys are first:

A LEVEL in a Week - Physics from Letts ISBN: 1-85758-931-9
Great basic physics book in a very quick and easy to understand reference format this is not for learning physics this is a reference book.

A-level Study Guide Mathematics ISBN: ISBN-10: 1857583388
The level of maths you will need the knowledge of for more advanced engine programming - note you won't need to know this in depth if you are not engine programming however a general knowledge of how they work will help you understand whats going on.

SAMS Teach yourself SQL In 24hours ISBN: 0-672-32442-3
This book not only teaches you SQL but also teaches the foundations of data/information storage explaining their uses indepth.

For a indepth knowledge of Physics and Maths you WILL need, this is my favourite bookmark:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=28

If your maths is basic I would say try taking a night course in Maths: Mechanics at at least Advanced GCSE level to learn matrics, logorithms and 3D space.

Rico3k
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe we could also update the sticky with design, art and animation reading material.

Fruzz
02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm reading two books on and off while I'm doing the course. I think a lot of the games programmers could benefit from them.

The first one is C++ For Games Programmers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programmers-Charles-River-Media-Development/dp/1584504528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266252782&sr=1-1)

I'm a few chapters in. I think its a good book to develop c++ skills beyond the basics.

The other one I got lately, Game Coding Complete (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Coding-Complete-Mike-McShaffry/dp/1584506806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266252663&sr=8-1), seems to be a broad look at games and how they are built. Its really nicely written and very informative. I'm still very near the beginning but I think there is a lot of games specific c++ knowledge to get out of it.

Duch
02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3

Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume II: Advanced Level Design Concepts with Unreal Engine 3

Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume III: Introduction to UnrealScript with Unreal Engine 3

Its 100q for all three on amazon :). I've ordered volume I, so i'll write a review when i get it. This was the best ( i think ) from books that i have found on the net about lvl design

MyKitten'saNinja
02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
There's also a good one for unity which Crystal Skye wrote about recently and absolutely on Max and Maya:D

Rico3k
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I have

The Animator's Survival Kit
Essential CG Lighting Techniques
3D Game Textures
3ds Max Modeling for Games
Ultimate Game Design
Digital Lighting and Rendering
How to cheat in 3ds Max
Mastering Unreal Technology The Art of Level Design

Bahero
02-15-2010, 11:26 PM
i have the everquest companion the inside lore of a game world which is very good for game designers.

Another book i would suggest which isn't a game design book but still great for game designers is: Tolkien the illustrated encyclopedia, truely amazing to find out how immersive middle earth is.

bhmediamarty
02-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Of all the books I have, I think my favourite is Game Character Development with Maya. Also have Object Oriented Programming in C++, Learn to Program Java, Flights of Fantasy and a few other books that I got off Rico3k. :yay:

jmpBake
02-16-2010, 08:51 AM
For my birthday I got;

C++ for Games Programmers - Neil Llopis
Very good so far (only read about 10 pages), gets perhaps a little advanced for my current stage but definetly a lot to be learned from it!
C++ for dummies - S.R.Davis
Not really looked at this, I've flicked through, although it's the basics I'm sure there is still knowledge to be gleaned from it so I'll get to it one day.

:tiphat:

yaustar
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm reading two books on and off while I'm doing the course. I think a lot of the games programmers could benefit from them.

The first one is C++ For Games Programmers (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Programmers-Charles-River-Media-Development/dp/1584504528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266252782&sr=1-1)

I'm a few chapters in. I think its a good book to develop c++ skills beyond the basics.

The other one I got lately, Game Coding Complete (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Coding-Complete-Mike-McShaffry/dp/1584506806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266252663&sr=8-1), seems to be a broad look at games and how they are built. Its really nicely written and very informative. I'm still very near the beginning but I think there is a lot of games specific c++ knowledge to get out of it.
I have both of those books and are stupidly high on my recommended list. Really solid books.