PDA

View Full Version : Online Tutorials, Do they really help?

mrg_willy1313
08-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi guys, recently iv been really tempted to surf the net for some tutorials. I have done in the past but to me it just seemed like a monkey see monkey do situation and I dont know if im actually learning anything. In your opinions do you think it does help? Im getting desperate to produce something because im almost 2 months into the course and have nothing to show for it apart from TMA marks :ohnoes:

yaustar
08-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Good tutorials, yes. Bad tutorials hinder. There also needs to be some effort on the person reading the tutorials to try doing something different to the examples so they can see if they understood the material or not.

jimmybrick
08-29-2010, 04:50 PM
i like written tutorials that explain the process rather than some guy on a video telling you to press this button without explaining what it is they are actually doing

AndyRH
08-29-2010, 05:26 PM
i like written tutorials that explain the process rather than some guy on a video telling you to press this button without explaining what it is they are actually doing

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Some videos have pretty large file sizes, and I have limited download allowance from my ISP, so PDFs would be a godsend.

eric_moose
08-29-2010, 07:27 PM
I would still be working out how to even start udk if it wasnt for online tutorials so yes they work if you find the right ones and are willing to go slow !

bhmediamarty
08-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Good tutorials, yes. Bad tutorials hinder. There also needs to be some effort on the person reading the tutorials to try doing something different to the examples so they can see if they understood the material or not.

Totally agree with that and this is one of those things that I kept bleating on about on the forum in relation to the earlier developer tutorials on gamemaker, because just following the tutorial from start to finish and ending up with the exact same files as were supplied doesn't necessarily mean you've learned anything, but if you can adjust code, change things to work differently and make a new game from a demo/tutorial then you've learned something :)

Methodical
09-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree with jimmy, can't beat written tutorials, i been purchasing books, 3ds 2010 bible etc, nice for going at own pace and referring back to at any time, don't get me wrong though i been working through quite a few online tutorials, there is some pretty exciting things to be made from them but again as jimmy said, the are allot of them not going into detail about what they are doing and what certain tools are for like mapping techniques etc, i found it better to start from the basics, make sure you learned from them the ability to start afresh and do your own thing, i, like probably most, went from making a bin straight into special effects and modeling transformation animations etc but couldn't just reset and do it all myself, too much to take in in such a short time so went back to basics.

by all means though keep your eye open, there is some really nice sites out there with decent tutorials. starting this course a couple of months ago i have slammed my bookmarks with tutorial sites and texture sites etc.

Talbuki
09-05-2010, 06:16 AM
it just seemed like a monkey see monkey do situation and I dont know if im actually learning anything.

It may seem like this, but for some people it works and for others it doesn't.

It's like when I 1st started using UDK it was scary as everything was scattered so I'd close the program then after watching so video tutorials I slowly got the hang of a few features.

But if i was to read tutorial I'd find it hard because all I'd have to go by is a few screenshots.