PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice

11Lewis19
08-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Hello all train2game students and moderators.

Heres my situation:

Studying at Exeter College - BTEC ND IT Practitioners
Living alone - on Housing benefits
Part Time job - Fits in well with current education and under the requirement for Housing Benefits.

To get back into education at the age of 19 was not easy. Finding funding and grants to cover the costs needed in a full time further education course was made difficult due to my age and the type of course (FE course). Due to the amount of work and hours expected to put in at home, I cannot find a 2nd part time job to cover the costs of this TIGA Diploma course.

Is there any advice anyone can give about this?

(If anyone has been in a similar situation, your advice is very welcome).

Thank you.

Lewis

Ritchie
08-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Heya Lewis, welcome.

My advise would be to choose what is more important for you. I am 20 next month, and I also live alone, as I have been programming for ~2 years self learning, it was something I knew I must come into, last year I was doing a course at college to bump up my grades, and to eventualy go into university, I found though, that living alone was difficult with no job, and I could realy do with full time, I did get a job, working at Ventura, of all places (although the pay is ok) I left college and went to work, my mind was still set on doing anything I could to get into uni, as I realy wish to do computer science.

So, after ~8 months of working, I found T2G and did a few days research on the company before deciding to do the course, the course contents cover a lot of things that I have been doing already in the past 2 years, but it also involves a lot of things that I am wishing to learn in depth, whilst I am stuck working full time, I decided this is one of the best things I could take right now, it offers me some evidence that I do have what it takes to become a professional programmer, and it gives me a lot of skills that I wish to have for my own hobby.

I see this course as a step into a university course that will then get me somewhere in computer science, my career path is still fixed on game programming, but I wish to have a variaty of skills for my own interests.

I have been woried for some months about my education, as I can not give up work right now to go back into it, and Train2Game has settled all my worries.

But the best advise I could give, is to sit down, and count the costs - Properly.

If you can afford it in your current position and you are happy about it, do it.

If you can not afford it right now and you wish to join the course, consider the things you could change to help your circumstances, try to think about what you will get out of your current course, and where you can get from this one.

Ritchie
08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks Mat, I only speak when I have something usefull to say. :P

Infiltraitor
08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Don't be afraid, Lewis. I'm 19 too and left sixth form to get a job and eventually make my way back onto the education ladder. Though here's the kicker - Noone will employ me -.-
Luckily I'm still living with my parents and am on jobseekers, so I pay for my course through that whilst looking for a job. Seeing as you're still in College, I suppose you may be able to go to the Prince's Trust for advice, or possibly even a grant, or maybe you could make an alternative credit agreement, such as making smaller payments but over a longer period of time. Either way, you can study at your own pace, there's no rule that says you HAVE to finish withing the ESTIMATED time (18 - 36 months), plus, if you pass the aptitude test, you get a written guarantee that you can pass this course, and, should Harry Potter jinx you so you fail, you can take the course again completely free of charge,

Hope this has helped!

Ritchie
08-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Heh, bad Harry, We should get the tutors to kick him out.

Ritchie
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Awesome MattB added me a nice little Signature, thankyee very much.

11Lewis19
08-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey guys.

Thank you so much for your replies, helped me clear up a few things. At the moment I feel like I can start this course and that I have enough spare time to work on this with my current education. My only issue is funding, so even tho I have applied to many grant companies and also been older but in an FE course, Iam not eligible for Alot of grants. The Prince Trust is something I will check out as soon as I can. Even looking for another job to maybe get things going.

So yeh, hopefully will set up a payment agreement soon enough. Just need a nice Grant giving organization to see me worthy :) haha

Again thank you for the replies, ill post back on my progress.

Lewis

Ritchie
08-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Good look Laewis. :)