PDA

View Full Version : creating a material problem. please help

JaX
07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
what im struggling with at moment is creating a texture. i want to understand the basics. so i thought i would create a wall in max. basic box primitive in the shape of a wall. couple of metres wide by a meter tall. then use photoshop to create my brick pattern. very basic again just to try and get the whole procedure right. on canvas, shape tool, create my brick. rectangular and orange/red. copied and pasted a few of them and didnt bother with the mortar for inbetween the bricks (just left it white). created a brickwork pattern 3 and a half bricks on a row and undernaeth would be 4 bricks in a row. so the whole image was a square shape. now my problem is this. when in max using the material editor i apply my brick image to each of the four sides of the wall. the exact same image goes on each side. on the larger sides the bricks are stretched big and smaller sides they are shrunk to fit. how do i apply/create some sort of tiled pattern so the bricks look more proportional. is this something i need to do in photoshop eg. for each wall create a texture with the right amount of bricks to fit or is it something i need to do in max so each image tiles along the wall and looks like normal brickwork instead of some massive overstretched pattern

Smoothnshiny
07-06-2010, 10:23 AM
one way of doing it is to create a UVW unwrap of the wall. then when you edit the UVW map you can scale the different sides of the wall so the bricks are the right proportion.

or you can split each wall off into a different material group then use a multi sub-object map ( one where you can have lots of maps in one slot.) then have a different material no for each side of the wall and in the respective material slot scale the bitmap to match whichever side it is applied to.

JaX
07-06-2010, 12:31 PM
cheers. sounds complicated but will have a go

Hatchetman45
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Does this flatten a 3D object in to a 2D object so you can add the material in a 3d game engine. I am just learning this technique myself pretty complicated.

bhmediamarty
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
You'll be pleased to know that when you come to do the sofa tutorial in max in lesson 6 I believe, this will all be explained and you'll be bricking it like the rest of us. :)

Hatchetman45
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
In not on the artist course in on the designer but i am learning this technique as i am designing a level in UDK. I love anything to do with the game industry and want to learn everything

IndigoWhite
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Material creation in UDK can be quite complex if you want it looking perfect and realistic. Hourences has a few good tutorials though.

Hatchetman45
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
will have a look now

bhmediamarty
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Oops, my bad. Indeed there are tons of tutorials out there for texturing, modelling and working with UDK.