PDA

View Full Version : New Comp, Are These Specs Good

Kaz
05-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey all, im currently on the Artist Course.
I have been looking at a new computer for a while and i wondered if these specs were good enough

Macbook,
OSX 10.5.4 - Leopard (can get snow leapord anytime)
2.1 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2GB Ram
120 GB Harddrive
Graphics Chipset - Intel GMA x3100

Would this handle Autodesk Maya and 3DS Max?

Cheers in advance

yaustar
05-23-2010, 01:20 AM
It will handle it to a degree but ideally you would an actual hardware accelerated graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM and as much CPU power as you can afford (pref a Quad core).

bhmediamarty
05-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey all, im currently on the Artist Course.
I have been looking at a new computer for a while and i wondered if these specs were good enough

Macbook,
OSX 10.5.4 - Leopard (can get snow leapord anytime)
2.1 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2GB Ram
120 GB Harddrive
Graphics Chipset - Intel GMA x3100

Would this handle Autodesk Maya and 3DS Max?

Cheers in advance

Hi Kaz, nice to see a mac fan. Would I be correct in assuming this spec is a second user or ex display model from a store as the spec's are slightly lower than the current Mac range.

Not really sure whether the versions of software that come with the course will have the product codes for the Mac but I'm sure someone can advise on that in due course.

However, and it pains me to say this, but for the price you'd be paying for a Mac (unless it's at a killer price) you can get a greater spec'd PC tower system with a lot of bells and whistles.

Kaz
05-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Kaz, nice to see a mac fan. Would I be correct in assuming this spec is a second user or ex display model from a store as the spec's are slightly lower than the current Mac range.

Not really sure whether the versions of software that come with the course will have the product codes for the Mac but I'm sure someone can advise on that in due course.

However, and it pains me to say this, but for the price you'd be paying for a Mac (unless it's at a killer price) you can get a greater spec'd PC tower system with a lot of bells and whistles.

yes it is second hand, my uncles friend has a new computer.
Its in perfect condition, and will cost me £300 as he wants a quick sale.
I guess ill keep looking around

Kren
05-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I'd echo Yaustar - I think the integrated graphics would be a bit of a bottleneck for you, and 2Gb is a little light these days, especially for graphically heavy apps where things like the number of levels of undo available are limited by ram.

I won't get into the whole Mac Vs PC thing... some people like one over the other, most of the reasons are valid, and people like what they like.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini?mco=MTM3NjY1OTU
A Mac Mini - slightly faster CPU and bigger hard drive, otherwise matches your spec - the big win would be the Nvidia 9400M chipset, which while still not a very fast card, would be better than an integrated Intel chipset. Bad news here is that the the pound price is almost the same as the US dorrar price - it's listed at £510 at the moment, and you need to budget for a screen of some sort of course.
Don't know if it's applicable for your situation at the moment, but there's always the option of finance - the example on that page is £17.65 per month...

Otherwise, for either a decent spec and new Mac, you're looking close to £1000
3Ghz CPU, 4Gb ram, 500Gb HDD, Nvidia 9400M GPU

If you swap out to a PC then for 700 quid you could get something like http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/build.php?systype=11&fsb=50
A Core i3 CPU, 4Gb ram, 500Gb HDD, Radeon 1Gb GPU, 22" monitor and keyboard, mouse etc

To a certain extent, it very much depends on what you are used to, and what your expectations are.

If you have a machine with a 1Ghz CPU and 1Gb of ram with integrated graphics, and move to your uncle's laptop, then it will probably seem quicker, nicer and more powerful.
If you're used to using machines at college with a 3Ghz CPU and 4Gb of ram with a discrete 1Gb GPU high spec card, and come home to your uncle's laptop, it's going to seem slow, creaky and a pain to use.

However, unless you get a really good deal, I'd recommend that you stay away from laptops. They're difficult if not impossible to upgrade, and the design is optimised for lightness and mobility - not performance. If your budget is around £300, then you can get much more bang for your buck by sticking with a desktop machine - and you have the advantage of being able to upgrade parts as time goes on then.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-5Gb-DUAL-CORE-PC-500Gb-HD-2Gb-DDR2-Wi-Fi-VISTA-/190397938460?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c5499fb1c

Fairly generic example PC from ebay.
2.5Ghz dual core PC, 2Gb ram, 500GB hard drive, Nvidia 8800GT graphics card. You'd need to find a monitor, keyboard and mouse again, but other than that it would be a reasonable performer... and it would be dead easy to swap out the ram sticks for 4Gb at little cost, when funds became available.

whyte
05-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi Kaz,
Since you are on the Artist course, it is worth checking out the system requirments on the Autodesk website as you are going to be using 3DS max
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13571366

for a MAC with Boot Camp;
You can install Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 software on a Mac® computer on a Windows® partition. The system must use Boot Camp® application program to help manage a dual OS configuration and meet the minimum system requirements.

* Intel-based Mac Pro or MacBook® Pro computer¹
* Mac® OS X 10.5.x or higher operating system
* Boot Camp V 2.0 or higher
* Minimum 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommend for 32-bit Windows, 8 GB or more for 64-bit Windows)
* Minimum 20 GB disk space for Apple OS partition, minimum 20 GB for Windows OS partition

It's always a good place to start when looking for a new computer

hughes_simons
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah, looks lie I'm going to need some more Ram. 4GB recommended. I swear the guy who came to see me said I could run it off 512mb so I figured 2GB would be plenty. Gay and Gayer...

Vampire Duck
05-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I know that mac users love their macs, not having used one much I can't comment, but I think it's only worth going that route if you can decide the spec you want and decide you can pay the extra, if you are working to a tighter budget, then it's probably worth going for a windows pc, especially as you are probably gonna have to duel boot a mac anyway, if most of what you are going to use is windows software, then what advantage will you get from a lower speced mac?

bhmediamarty
05-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I know that mac users love their macs, not having used one much I can't comment, but I think it's only worth going that route if you can decide the spec you want and decide you can pay the extra, if you are working to a tighter budget, then it's probably worth going for a windows pc, especially as you are probably gonna have to duel boot a mac anyway, if most of what you are going to use is windows software, then what advantage will you get from a lower speced mac?

As much as I like my macs it's been some time since I've used one due to the cost per performance and the expandability of the pc's. Also agree with vampire ducks comment about whether it's worth getting a low spec'd mac when you'll mostly be using pc software.

Vampire Duck
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Also agree with vampire ducks comment

Generally I'm very agreeable :yay:

NivareGEE
05-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Im running....
Gforce 9600
4gig Ram soon to be 9, switching to 64 bit working system
Intel 2 Quad CPU
2gig processor
500gig hardrive Plus 500 external
dual moniters
22 HDMI Main
17 widescreen secondary
Love knowing someone who owns a computer shop :P

Cypher
05-29-2010, 09:54 PM
If your going to run any serious 3D app. on that kind of spec. then you really need to make sure nothing else is running but the essential stuff to make the computer run well, the computer will handle some of what maya and 3ds max can handle but the rigs, models textures etc... i'm afraid will lap up all your hard drive space fast resulting in a slower computer, the only way back would be to uninstall the software. so no, not in my opinion.
Cypher.