PDA

View Full Version : On-Live Gaming

Smooth_OJ
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8556874.stm

Just been reading about this On-Live setup, wanted to get peoples views.

Personally i think its a good idea, however not convinced about it working correctly and flawlessly in terms of on low end equipment.
I think the statement "We want to take your dollars from hardware and let you spend it on software" is taking the assumption every single person they offer this to is going to have the correct hardware already.
What if they dont, and the games dont stream well, have jumping and slow movement etc etc...

Ill stop myself short as ill end up ranting and be wrong about everything :smug: Let you all have your opinion

IndigoWhite
03-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I saw this pop up about 6-9 months ago in the US, as a gamer I think it's a great little idea as I'm usually picking up at least 10 worth of games in a month.

There is the issue of will it all work, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

DrDeth
03-11-2010, 11:25 AM
The initial beta stages of OnLive have been promising but there several drawbacks - the biggest problem being input latency. You couldn't play any game that required you to react quickly, or within a short time (and I can think of a few off the top of my head that require a quick button sequence - MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Guitar Hero, etc).

BUT, I think they know that that is the biggest problem and will do as much as they can to address it. Realistically though, there's no way to get rid of the latency completely.

Edit: Found the article I read before: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859&type=expert

jmpBake
03-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I just came on the forums to post a link to this! Also I was going to say pretty much exactly what Smooth_OJ said!

I'm not sure it's going to work as well as expected due to the reasons other people have stated. :ohnoes:

:tiphat:

bhmediamarty
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I remember seeing this a while ago, poss same time frame listed above and all points mentioned above were listed as potential problems, however that was in the US and other countries that benefit from much better broadband than we have in this country. If I only had a BT line for my broadband I'd only have 2mb at a push, thankfully I'm in a cable area so I have access to 50mb, other countries frown when they're limited to 8mb.

Vampire Duck
03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
In japan and south Korea they have Gb connection speeds

DrDeth
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
They also have vending machines with used underwear in them...

MyKitten'saNinja
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
lol seriously deth?

IndigoWhite
03-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Yes they do. Whatever floats your boat eh?

MyKitten'saNinja
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
clean and fresh i could understand lets not go to why they would want used:doh:

MrT
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Latency is going to be a big problem, but I think an even bigger problem is the amount of raw processing power they're going to have to have their end! They're going to have to have the equivalent of a top-end spec PC for EACH customer concurrently playing.

yaustar
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
This was discussed before and after seeing a presentation on it, I was less convinced that lag was going to be enough of a problem to be an issue and some of the features looked really good.

Now I have some issues with their pricing strategy, a monthly fee AND you have to pay to rent/buy games? Unless those prices are much less then what they are out here, it isn't going to work at all.

Kren
03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Have a read of : http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9173/

What I found more interesting than the article was the range of responses to it - both for and against, and the wide range of technical understanding and emotional response. The full gamut of internet democracy in just 5 pages....

IndigoWhite
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
We were just speaking about On-Live in another thread just started up today, want me to merge this into there?

Kren
03-11-2010, 10:40 PM
ahh yes, sure.. if you can merge them then please Mr Mod, that'd be top. Sorry for the duplicate.

IndigoWhite
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
No worries, mod powers away!

Successfully merged.

simonberry007
03-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I was really interested in this idea when i saw the post on bbc, but like many of the other postee's latency will be the biggest issue. But i got to thinking about the TV gaming side they are wanting to deploy. My question is when you rent / buy a game for the tv side will it be completely cloud based ? because i cannot see anyway to store the game. Whereas the pc/mac side you could pay for the content and download it to your device.

And if it is completely cloud based, then i think the idea will fail unless the customers have high speed connection like the virgin media 50mb or china's capabilities.

Because i know i wouldn't replace my xbox for a service costing 10 / month only to suffer latency and probably more issues.

Smooth_OJ
03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah, i just cant see the Console Killer tag being likely! I think alot of people would agree that the way forward at this point in time is in methods like motion control, as shown by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony. Surely if you tried to incorporate motion control to the On-Live its creating yet another latency failure problem? And again more cost which apparently theyre trying to drive away....not happening as far as i can see :ninja:

yaustar
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
It is completely cloud based. Here is any earlier beta review here:
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=859&type=expert&pid=1

And the University presentation here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.164873-OnLive-Fully-Detailed-in-Columbia-University-Presentation

Bear in mind because it is streaming, you could in theory play any game on anything that has a web connection like an iPhone.

Vampire Duck
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I thought onlive still had a low powered piece of hardware, like a cable box with contoller connections etc. Some Rival services are being designed to play on existing hardware

yaustar
03-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I thought onlive still had a low powered piece of hardware
They do have a product for sale but you can play Onlive through other means (eg through a browser or on a PC) IIRC.

Vampire Duck
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
They do have a product for sale but you can play Onlive through other means (eg through a browser or on a PC) IIRC.

Ah ok that makes sense.

Vampire Duck
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
I think dave perry's rival service is perhaps more realistic, onlive want to rival and replace the big 3, he seems to want to compliment what's out there, and look into licencing tech to the platform holders. I've forgotten the name of his cloud based project.

yaustar
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Gakai.

(Message is too short)

Voxie
03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Something like this was tried several years ago, it was called the phantom it never saw the light of day then and im not sure if the idea will take off now but then again ive been proved wrong before :doh:

yaustar
03-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Something like this was tried several years ago, it was called the phantom it never saw the light of day then and im not sure if the idea will take off now but then again ive been proved wrong before :doh:
This actually exists and I know of several people who have access to the beta.