PDA

View Full Version : Icey Monty checking in

Calibur
01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Icey Monty is made up of three talented students which includes myself, designer, NickWalker12, programmer and Johnessy our other programmer.

Icey Monty was formed back in July when we began work on Dr Switzer, due to some complications we had to put the project on hold and find something else to work on. From there we began work on Tamarex which is due to be submitted to the app store within the next couple of days.

Although the studios life span has been short we have learnt a lot over the past couple of months, typicality about full development cycles and many many obstacles during the development cycle.

What have we learnt?

You may think your game is small but it definitely isn't! It doesn't sound to big on paper, but once you start developing the game it does bring it into reality how big games actually are. Many many designs later we finally came up with Tamarex which some of you guys would have seen already. Tamarex is a 3d take on the classic tamagotchi games, in which you take care of a pet dinosaur. The feature list for Tamarex isn't huge, but it has still taken us four weeks of development to come to a semi final build which we feel confident enough to release.

Issues, bugs, obstacles, hurdles..you will come across all of the above, many times! I think just over a quarter of the development cycle has been fixing issues and bugs that we never expected to happen, only to find out that yes, that thing you never expected to happen does happen!

You need A LOT OF STUFF to even think about releasing a commercial game, licenses, licenses and even more licenses! Oh god how much money we have spent on licenses :(

You always need a guy to make a sponge! So were making Tamarexs' bath scene, and I realize that we need a sponge..but we need somebody with a commercial version of max just to even be able to use it! Luckily enough I poked Martin (BHMediamarty) until he finally decided to make me an awesome sponge, thank you sponge man!

So yeah that's us, thank you for reading! :)

johnessy
01-31-2013, 06:35 PM
The biggest lesson i learned was if you change the quality settings, remember to change them back. We were at one point running 30 FPS i changed some settings in Quality and forgot to change them back. So for 4 days we ripped the game apart trying to find the bug and it was those damn settings :D

So if for some reason when developing for iphone and your FPS just drops make sure you check those settings. :D

Smoothnshiny
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Ahh, the trials and tribulations of making games ;)

Good luck guys, looking forward to see how it turns out.

Calibur
01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks Smooth!

Should be submitted to the app store later tonight or tomorrow morning so will keep you guys updated :)

johnessy
01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Ahh, the trials and tribulations of making games ;)

Good luck guys, looking forward to see how it turns out.

Yea those damn trials lol.

Again thanks mate.

When is Galoop coming out on IOS?

Smoothnshiny
02-01-2013, 11:58 AM
Yea those damn trials lol.

Again thanks mate.

When is Galoop coming out on IOS?

We're just adding some final polish, setting up for Facebook and gamecenter integration. Then getting some testers to check for issues. Meanwhile we'll be running a small competition where the winners will end up with in game credits (the reason for credits is still secret for now ....keep an eye on Facebook). Then when all that's done it'll be time to submit to iTunes...Hopefully in a month or two :)

bhmediamarty
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
You may think your game is small but it definitely isn't! It doesn't sound to big on paper, but once you start developing the game it does bring it into reality how big games actually are. Many many designs later we finally came up with Tamarex which some of you guys would have seen already. Tamarex is a 3d take on the classic tamagotchi games, in which you take care of a pet dinosaur. The feature list for Tamarex isn't huge, but it has still taken us four weeks of development to come to a semi final build which we feel confident enough to release.

That and feature creep are two of the hardest parts you start to face when developing a game. It's one of the reasons why I kept writing threads against making games with hundreds of weapons etc. because on paper it doesn't seem much, but once you start balancing up the differences, getting all the artwork sorted, building them into the game and testing the differences between them to make sure it's all sorted, starts to become a massive task.

Feature creep was a huge nightmare for us with Purgatory because things that previously worked had to be adjusted to allow for some new feature we added and that in turn led to other bugs elsewhere that we initially overlooked because we'd already tested the other features to death and they worked perfectly, but mysteriously didn't because of a new addition elsewhere.

You need A LOT OF STUFF to even think about releasing a commercial game, licenses, licenses and even more licenses! Oh god how much money we have spent on licenses :(

That's for sure. I've been a registered Apple developer for 2 years now so there was that to pay for, buying Unity3D and iOS licenses, followed by plugins to make other things easier or function better, software to be able to create the assets to go into the game and of course equipment to be able to build, test and run an iOS game in the first place. I know there are workarounds and cheaper or free alternatives but they're not without their problems and having a dedicated machine sitting there ready to build that final IPA or Mac APP is a godsend, which is something I'm sure Johnessy will agree on.

You always need a guy to make a sponge! So were making Tamarexs' bath scene, and I realize that we need a sponge..but we need somebody with a commercial version of max just to even be able to use it! Luckily enough I poked Martin (BHMediamarty) until he finally decided to make me an awesome sponge, thank you sponge man!

Lol, not a problem, I didn't really think it was a good sponge, was just something quick to see if that was what you were after but hey, I'm pleased you liked it. As for commercial version of Max, it's actually a commercial version of Cinema 4D that I use but you wouldn't notice the difference because it does everything that I could have done in Max at a fraction of the price and exports FBX files without a problem.

Good luck with the game, to all you guys in the team for pulling together and sticking together and I look forward to seeing the game out there.

johnessy
02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
That and feature creep are two of the hardest parts you start to face when developing a game. It's one of the reasons why I kept writing threads against making games with hundreds of weapons etc. because on paper it doesn't seem much, but once you start balancing up the differences, getting all the artwork sorted, building them into the game and testing the differences between them to make sure it's all sorted, starts to become a massive task.

Feature creep was a huge nightmare for us with Purgatory because things that previously worked had to be adjusted to allow for some new feature we added and that in turn led to other bugs elsewhere that we initially overlooked because we'd already tested the other features to death and they worked perfectly, but mysteriously didn't because of a new addition elsewhere.

That's for sure. I've been a registered Apple developer for 2 years now so there was that to pay for, buying Unity3D and iOS licenses, followed by plugins to make other things easier or function better, software to be able to create the assets to go into the game and of course equipment to be able to build, test and run an iOS game in the first place. I know there are workarounds and cheaper or free alternatives but they're not without their problems and having a dedicated machine sitting there ready to build that final IPA or Mac APP is a godsend, which is something I'm sure Johnessy will agree on.

Lol, not a problem, I didn't really think it was a good sponge, was just something quick to see if that was what you were after but hey, I'm pleased you liked it. As for commercial version of Max, it's actually a commercial version of Cinema 4D that I use but you wouldn't notice the difference because it does everything that I could have done in Max at a fraction of the price and exports FBX files without a problem.

Good luck with the game, to all you guys in the team for pulling together and sticking together and I look forward to seeing the game out there.

Thanks Marty, Also for the Dedicated machine i dont know how i worked on a damn virtual one :D