PDA

View Full Version : Sign in to student world

snake
10-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Hello!
I'm new in this forum. I'm from tunisia.
I very happy to have this opportunity to enter the world of video game disign & development.
and my question is what are the steps to do that
first think I want to know is how can I sign in to student world?
thank you.

Musical-Phenix
10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
To sign into the student world you need your student id and password...
You should recieve this after 2weeks or so of signing up..

In the meantime it would be adviseable to explore your DVD with a right click, and install the programs inside.

Then you can start on the introduction booklet..

Any more questions feel free to ask
http://forum.train2game.com/picture.php?albumid=82&pictureid=1090

novogeek
10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm new in this forum. I'm from tunisia.

Welcome ... and cool, didn't know Train2Game were taking in students that far abroad.

Musical-Phenix gave you the answer you are looking for. :cool:

LaryK
10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Welcome aboard Snake,

I think Phenix has got everything covered here. Enjoy the course and forums and have fun! :D

LaryK
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Could Snake not be a Tunisian living in the UK?

Come on guys, very one dimensional thinking from game design/development folk!

novogeek
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Could Snake not be a Tunisian living in the UK?

Come on guys, very one dimensional thinking from game design/development folk!

Then why does he put his location on his profile as Tunisia ... use the information available to you to make an informed decision ... so who is one-dimensional now.

And as a developer, I need to think logically ... which I did ... based on information available to me at the time.

*buzzer* Thank you for playing ... please deposit 20p to continue. :tiphat:

gnipper
10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi snake,

As has been said, welcome to the forums. I was under the impression the courses are for UK based people only as it was cost prohibitive to support students outside the UK?

Anyway, fill us in, dont keep us in suspense !! :)

snake
10-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you a lot guys, very kind.
thank you Phenix, but :
1 - I didn't find any link that alows me to sign in to te student world once i click here (http://www.train2game-online.com/)
2 - I have no DVD so how can i get it.
3 - sorry LaryK, I'll be really happy to live in UK but I'm Tunisian living in tunisia. :)

gnipper
10-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Maybe cos you arent in the UK?

Are you on a course snake? If so, did an advisor visit you in Tunisia? :)

snake
10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe cos you arent in the UK?

Are you on a course snake? If so, did an advisor visit you in Tunisia? :)

No i'm not in course and nobody visited me.

gnipper
10-09-2009, 04:43 PM
No i'm not in course and nobody visited me.

Student World is a facility for Students enrolled on Train2Games developer or designer courses, which are only available in the UK at the moment.

So by all means pull up a chair for chatting in the wonderful forums we have, but you wont be able to access Student World if you arent a Student :)

snake
10-09-2009, 04:48 PM
ok thank you
maybe someday I'll be living in the UK so i can belong to this beautifull world.
thank you anyway guys.
now i'll go squeeze my pillow and cry.

Musical-Phenix
10-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry all.
Had to nip out..

Gnipper is right. So far its only people in the UK that can take the course's.
And youo need to be on a course to access to student world.

Im guessing you thought it was like second life or something of the sort, but its more like a online classroom.

Hope that helps

IndigoWhite
10-09-2009, 04:52 PM
ok thank you
maybe someday I'll be living in the UK so i can belong to this beautifull world.
thank you anyway guys.
now i'll go squeeze my pillow and cry.

Wow that was an emotional ending. :(

novogeek
10-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Wow that was an emotional ending. :(

Unless he calls his wife/girlfriend/other a pillow ... :p

Anyway snake ... sorry about that mate ... but there is nothing stopping you from learning from the forums anyway.

Good luck. :tiphat:

Zero
10-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Also, if you really are interested in this course I am sure you could find adequate reading materials on the internet. Maybe even buy some books and do some self teaching and practice, for if and when you do come to the UK or the course comes to you.

Hope you hang around on these forums though.

snake
10-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you guys

LaryK
10-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Then why does he put his location on his profile as Tunisia ... use the information available to you to make an informed decision ... so who is one-dimensional now.

And as a developer, I need to think logically ... which I did ... based on information available to me at the time.

lol fair point!

Damn, these threads fill up fast!

However, informed decisions are not always correct!

PS, I'm out of 20p's. Can I use Bananas?

Entertainer
10-09-2009, 06:40 PM

:clap: LMFAO!
Man after my own troll-like heart!!
Damn, I can't stop laughing - lol.

Anyway...

Welcome to the community 'Snake'.
We hope you enjoy it here, good luck on the course mate ;)

Zero
10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
We hope you enjoy it here, good luck on the course mate ;)

:eek: We already know he isn't on the course Tainer!! :smug:

snake
10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
But I enjoy it here.

I have an Idea.
what if you teach me.
I mean if the webmaster allow me:confused:, you can teach me, all of you.
eg :
1 - telling me what tools i need .
2 - help me beggins with the first step.

:sothere:

C U tommorow

IndigoWhite
10-09-2009, 08:02 PM
There's loads of information out there dude, it's just a case of searching in the right areas.

Entertainer
10-09-2009, 08:10 PM
:eek: We already know he isn't on the course Tainer!! :smug:
Troll feed ;)

[...]what if you teach me.[/...]
What if you teach yourself...http://www.forum.train2game.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 :)

novogeek
10-09-2009, 08:19 PM
But I enjoy it here.

I have an Idea.
what if you teach me.
I mean if the webmaster allow me:confused:, you can teach me, all of you.
eg :
1 - telling me what tools i need .
2 - help me beggins with the first step.

:sothere:

C U tommorow

Ummmmmmm ... NO. :sothere:

hexalot
10-09-2009, 08:21 PM
We are all paying allot of money to this course to be able to study I am sorry but I will only help enrolled students when and if I can.

yaustar
10-09-2009, 10:00 PM
@snake, you have to narrow down what you want to do. Do you want to be a Programmer? Artist? Audio Engineer? Designer?

Musical-Phenix
10-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Not only this but you wont be able to take the tutor markes assessments or contact the tutors...

If you want to learn the things you need to be on the course sorry dude.

yaustar
10-09-2009, 10:22 PM
If you want to learn the things you need to be on the course sorry dude.
He can perfectly well self learn the majority if not all what is on the course. There are books and Internet resources that more or less cover the course material.

LaryK
10-09-2009, 11:10 PM
He can perfectly well self learn the majority if not all what is on the course. There are books and Internet resources that more or less cover the course material.

This is true, you just gotta know where to look. However, he won't be assessed on any of it, and won't have a qualification at the end of it!

yaustar
10-09-2009, 11:41 PM
This is true, you just gotta know where to look. However, he won't be assessed on any of it, and won't have a qualification at the end of it!
The OP is in Tunisia, I really doubt a TIGA endorsed qualification is going to help. If anything, he is going to need a degree to be seriously considered for a job in another country.

As far as I can tell, the guy just wants to learn making games. For that, self learning is going to have to be enough unless he plans to study abroad which will not be cheap.

Entertainer
10-09-2009, 11:42 PM

:clap:

I'm with Yaustar on this, I think you can teach yourself.

However, this can take an awful lot of time and extreme dedication to hunt out and then cypher the wheat from the chaff (so to speak).

Don't get me wrong, there is some great educational material out there, both on the web and in your libraries. But unless you really understand the route you are taking into the industry (as Yauster pointed out to in an earlier post), and have the self discipline to drive you to that goal - I fear you end up going around the houses (as it were) and not only taking in good information, but also learning information which can later seem irrational or a waste of time.

I am mostly self taught, it's only because I've been so heavily involved with computers for most of my life, and been privileged with the time in which I've been able to set aside for studying things, is that a natural progression is now for me to take everything I've learnt and refine it into a qualification via college and university - and of course also taking this T2G developer course (on the side). But I believe that in this business there are many things some books or online tutorials or even a college/university would not teach you...

I think what I'm trying to say 'Snake' is that if you really want to be part of this industry, and respected amongst its followers - then you need to meet us half way and do some of your own research into what you would like to aspire to become... That way, when you ask for support from someone following the same aspirations that you are, you have more meat to your query - and it shows that you are willing to learn.

</rant> :noooo:

LaryK
10-10-2009, 12:42 AM
The OP is in Tunisia, I really doubt a TIGA endorsed qualification is going to help. If anything, he is going to need a degree to be seriously considered for a job in another country.

As far as I can tell, the guy just wants to learn making games. For that, self learning is going to have to be enough unless he plans to study abroad which will not be cheap.

My post was in a general capacity Yau, mainly to Musial Phenix's comments about really needing to join the course!

Basically, if anyone was to be self taught, they would not have a qualification but they could still learn all the skills required/taught on the course!

yaustar
10-10-2009, 01:09 AM
My post was in a general capacity Yau, mainly to Musial Phenix's comments about really needing to join the course!
Sorry, I misread the tone of the post.

However, this can take an awful lot of time and extreme dedication to hunt out and then cypher the wheat from the chaff (so to speak).
'Tis true, and we can't give you (snake) any of the decent resources without knowing what you want to do.

snake
10-10-2009, 09:17 AM
What if you teach yourself...http://www.forum.train2game.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6
thx Entertainer i'll try my best

We are all paying allot of money to this course to be able to study I am sorry but I will only help enrolled students when and if I can
I know hexalot, if I were in uk I will pay like everybody else but I'm not.

@yaustar i want to be a game programmer.

Not only this but you wont be able to take the tutor markes assessments or contact the tutors..
@Musical-Phenix
right but I'll start with learning first

it's just like you'r reading in my mind yaustar

I'm with Yaustar on this, I think you can teach yourself.

Don't get me wrong, there is some great educational material out there, both on the web and in your libraries. But unless you really understand the route you are taking into the industry (as Yauster pointed out to in an earlier post), and have the self discipline to drive you to that goal - I fear you end up going around the houses (as it were) and not only taking in good information, but also learning information which can later seem irrational or a waste of time.

I am mostly self taught, it's only because I've been so heavily involved with computers for most of my life, and been privileged with the time in which I've been able to set aside for studying things, is that a natural progression is now for me to take everything I've learnt and refine it into a qualification via college and university - and of course also taking this T2G developer course (on the side). But I believe that in this business there are many things some books or online tutorials or even a college/university would not teach you...

I think what I'm trying to say 'Snake' is that if you really want to be part of this industry, and respected amongst its followers - then you need to meet us half way and do some of your own research into what you would like to aspire to become... That way, when you ask for support from someone following the same aspirations that you are, you have more meat to your query - and it shows that you are willing to learn.

understood and ready to go Entertainer

yaustar
10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
@Snake - First step, learn a programming language and the basics of computer science. For the programming language, I recommend Python as it is a mature high level language with plenty of documentation.

Site: http://www.python.org/
Download 2.6.x: http://www.python.org/download/
Tutorials and Documentation: http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide and they also do some in different languages: http://wiki.python.org/moin/Languages

As for Computer Science, look at MIT's lecture notes: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm#ElectricalEngineeringandComputerScience

If you get syuck, the GameDev forums are a good bet to get help rather then here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/

From this point, you are more or less on your own.

snake
10-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Thank you very much yaustar.
I'm on it.

What about visual C++ express and game maker, do I need them?

IndigoWhite
10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Not for python.