PDA

View Full Version : New LIT - Introduction to Console Development

IndigoWhite
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
For those who haven't seen yet, quoted on StudentWorld.

This is presented by Chris Preston. Chris is Engineering Manager at Ubisoft Reflections, the Newcastle-based developers of the Driver series. He joined the studio over 6 years ago as a Tools Programmer but is now the lead engineer on the studio’s next AAA game for home consoles. A Computer Science graduate, he got his big break in the games industry with Codemasters in the mid-nineties, working mainly on the original Colin McRae Rally. He has nearly 14 years commercial experience of software engineering and technical management. The session walks through the key features of modern home consoles and how they affect game development, looking particularly at features that are different from desktop PC development.

jmpBake
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Sweeet, only this morning I PM'd "admin of the cape" asking if anymore goodies were coming up :D

:tiphat:

gnipper
09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
To echo Mr Bake.

Sweeeet

FateFirst
09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Signed onto a 9pm session!

gnipper
09-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Ditto Fate

Might see you there ;)

IndigoWhite
09-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Same as 9pm session for me.

FateFirst
09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll be checking my SW everyday now after what happened last time....

...damn you auto-mated LIT rejection script!

FateFirst
09-22-2009, 03:04 PM
...but...you...have...THE CAPE!

novogeek
09-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Cape ... Pants ... can anyone say: PANTS MAN

*sing along ... ants in your pants ... ants in your pants ... *

Mr. Algorithm
09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi moderators

Is it possible to save the LIT session for like future reference or incase you dont understand everything on first watch???

Mr. Algorithm
09-22-2009, 06:45 PM
So is this the first ones then as there are no others already on there?

Mr. Algorithm
09-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I've booked a time now, whats the next step in watching?

novogeek
09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
I've booked a time now, whats the next step in watching?

Reading your instructions that were sent to you and then watching it when the date comes due ... *shrug*

Zero
09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey, out of curiousity, I read the instructions after booking a 9pm session of Live-Internet Training and it never told me how I would actually view it. Would I be right in thinking its under the same tab as booking your session on StudentWorld?

This is my first time watching it so I wouldn't know exactly where to go to view it. Please help...

novogeek
09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
*sigh* I actually found this on the booking page:

The process for booking LIT sessions is as follows:

you request a LIT at the times that suit you
we will offer you the next available LIT date with a free time slot to match your request and notify you via webmail
if the date offered is unsuitable, just cancel the offer and re-request the LIT; if suitable, you must confirm the offer within three days otherwise the slot will be offered to another student
once you have confirmed a LIT date, you will be sent a confirmation webmail
a few days prior to the actual LIT date you will be sent your login details for the LIT session, again via webmail

Please note that these sessions are very popular and are always fully booked, so please do not confirm to attend a session unless you are sure you can attend.

ho hum ... :sothere:

AnthonyHJ
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
It might be worth pointing out, for those who have not attended one before, that there is the small matter of a download as well.

I am not sure how big it is, but the last thing you will want to do is turn up ten minutes before the LIT and see that you need to download 30MB before you can even log in. This would be even worse for dial-up users...

Also, just in passing and not at all to hijack, there seems to be a second LIT listed there now. ;-)

Zero
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I thank you AnthonyHJ for the fore warning of a download before being able to watch it, I am going to make sure I am online about 30-45 minutes before it is due to start to make sure. But since I have broadband I doubt i'll have any problems in it downloading quick enough.

CliveR
09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Lol

Novo rocks!!

Its kinda a scary thing to behold; You know your going to be flamed, you know you deserve it, yet you can’t get away from the fact that his posts are always right and that you should have searched for just that little bit longer…

IndigoWhite
09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Thats why we love him :P

novogeek
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks CliveR and IndigoWhite.

I know I am a pain sometimes ... but to avoid confusion I amended my signature last night ... "so live with it". :sothere:

hmmm ... don't read anything in to this post ... just thanking them for their kind words ... *coffeeeeeeeee* *drool*